This Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich recipe is perfect for family gatherings, birthday parties, BBQ’s or a warm summer evening treat!
Our Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich recipe will be a cool, tasty delight to everyone in your house. There is really nothing more delicious than a fresh cookie or delicious ice cream.
But, holy cow, when you put them both together into an ice cream sandwich…..need I say more?!?!
I’m can tell you there is absolutely nothing better on a hot day or evening when you come home from work, a day at the pool, or a long walk and have one of these ice cream sandwiches.
In 1899, a pushcart salesman in New York City invented the ice cream sandwich. He and other people made them by hand and sold them from their carts in the stifling New York heat.
This year is the 122nd summer that cookie ice cream sandwiches have been a part of our summertime tradition.
Around here, summer day temperatures range anywhere from 85 to 110 degrees. We have to find some way to cool off…and what better way than with a tasty ice cream sandwich?
You can whip up a batch of our Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches in no time! Double or triple the batch and keep them in the freezer for your family to grab when they need to cool off.
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Break and Bake Chocolate Chips Cookies – another option would be to use made from scratch cookies or store bought cookies
- Vanilla Ice Cream – choose your favorite flavor of ice cream or stick with yummy vanilla
- Baking Sheets
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Want to make your own Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches? Here’s how!
Bake cookies per instructions on the package. Take cookies out of the oven just as the edges of the cookies are barely turning brown. Let cool completely.
On the bottom side of one cookie, put on 1 tablespoon of ice cream.
Use another cookie and place the bottom side of the cookie on the ice cream.
Repeat the process to assemble all the ice cream sandwiches.
Serve immediately or place in an air-tight container in the freezer until ready to eat.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Notes And Tips
- It is important to remove the cookies from the oven just as the edges are turning barely brown. The cookies should be soft enough but not too soft that they fall apart. You may have to adjust the baking time just a bit so as not to overbake the cookies.
- Make sure to soften the ice cream a little before putting it on the cookie so that it will flatten down to make the sandwich.
- Once the sandwich is assembled, roll the edges in sprinkles, nuts or chopped up candy bars for added yumminess.
Variations Of This Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich To Try
Oh my goodness!!! My brain is spinning with all the combinations of cookies and ice cream to try! I’m sure you have some great ideas but here are a few that sound scrumptious to me:
- Snickerdoodle cookies with cinnamon ice cream
- Peanut butter cookies with peanut butter ice cream
- Lemon cookies with vanilla ice cream
- Sugar cookies with strawberry ice cream
- Chocolate chip cookies with chocolate chip ice cream
- Chocolate cookies with mint chocolate chip ice cream
Another fun idea…..bake a sheet pan cookie! Here’s how to use a sheet pan cookie to achieve similar results:
- Let it cool once you remove from the oven.
- Take a cookie cutter and cut your desired shape out of the sheet pan cookie.
- Slice the ice cream to the thickness desired and use the cookie cutter to cut the same shape of ice cream and assemble. Hearts, stars, squares, circles, numbers, butterflies, trees, animals……you get the picture. 😉
How long will my ice cream sandwiches keep in the freezer?
These ice cream sandwiches should keep for up to 2 weeks in the freezer if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or stored in an air-tight freezer-safe container. But my guess is they won’t be in there that long. 🙂
Can I use homemade ice cream?
Yes, you can. I would suggest that you put it in the freezer to set up a little right after churning and before assembling the cookie sandwich otherwise the ice cream will be a little too thin.
What is the best way to soften the ice cream before assembling the sandwich?
There are few different options so you will need to find the method that works best for you.
You can place the ice cream in the refrigerator for 20 – 30 minutes before using, let it sit at room temperature for 10 -15 minutes, or soften in the microwave at 30% power for approximately 30 seconds.
Experiment with these three suggestions and see which method works for you.
More Delightful Summer Desserts To Try
If you enjoy cool, refreshing summer desserts, you might want to check these recipes.
- The BEST Fruity Cocomelon Rainbow Popsicles
- No-Bake Berry Cheesecake Parfait
- Pina Colada Popsicles
- Berrylicious Red, White and Blue Trifle
Pin For Later!
- 1 pkg (24 count) Break and Bake Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Bake cookies per package instructions or prepare and bake your own. Take cookies out of the oven just as the edges barely turn brown. Let cool.
- Place 1 tablespoon of ice cream on bottom side of one cookie.
- Place second cookie bottom side down on the ice cream.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream until all sandwiches are made.
- Serve immediately or put in freezer in air-tight container.
- . ENJOY!!!