What could be better than a sweet Hawaiian roll filled with deli ham, swiss cheese, and tangy aioli sauce then baked to perfection? Let’s just say these are not your average Ham and Cheese Sliders – and the whole family will love them!
A few years ago we went to visit some friends of ours who treated us to something really special: a day out on their boat!
It was so much fun! The boys got to go tubing and we got to relax (I mean, REALLY relax) all while fishing, swimming in the lake, and eating some incredible food.
One of the things they made for us was these ham and cheese sliders. Our friends baked them in the oven. But when I was trying to recreate them, I wanted to try using the air fryer, so I did that. 😉
This recipe makes great boat food – but you can also enjoy these sliders on a picnic, at the pool, or in the backyard!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need for this delicious savory recipe. Make them for picnics, a day out on the boat, or any day!
- Hawaiian Rolls – savory butter or honey wheat will work if original is unavailable
- Deli Ham – turkey or chicken are good substitutions as well
- Swiss Cheese – cheddar or gouda can be substituted
- Mayonnaise – I prefer Miracle Whip but use what you like best
- Paprika – mild and sweet to hot, the choice is yours
- Dill – adds a bright, sweet flavor
- Onion Powder
NOTE: Please refer to the handy printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the recipe details!
How to Make Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders
Slice the 8 Hawaiian rolls in half.
Fold 2 slices of ham and 1 oz of cheese to fit on the roll and place on the bottom half of the bun.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise and spices. Mix until the aioli is well combined.
Add a 1/2 tbsp of the aioli to the top portion of the bun and then place it on top of the cheese.
Place the sliders in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe Notes And Tips
- I would recommend pre-heating the air fryer prior to adding the sliders. This will help them cook faster and get a nice, yummy crust on the slider.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the air fryer pan during cooking. This will make for easy clean up from the ooey gooey, yummy melting cheese.
- If you are able and the air fryer basket is big enough, leave the rolls connected together using a serrated knife to separate the top layer from the bottom. It is much easier to assemble versus doing the sliders one by one. Or you can do 4 rolls at the same time if it will fit easier in your airfryer.
- You should consider an average serving size to be approximately 2 – 3 sliders per person. This will ensure you have plenty to feed all your guests and family members.
Variations of Ham and Cheese Sliders To Try
- Get creative with the type of meats and cheese you use. Such as beef and cheese, chicken and mozzarella or turkey and gouda. They all sound delicious, don’t they!!! 🙂
- Turkey bacon or regular bacon would be a delicious addition to these sliders.
- Give them a little gusto and put on jalapenos or a banana pepper. YUM!
- Make these little sliders your own by adding some onion, a tomato slice or even a slice of pineapple. 😉
Here are the answers to some common questions I see readers ask about Ham and Cheese Sliders. If you don’t see your question down below, make sure to leave it in the comments so I can answer it!
How long will the sliders keep in the refrigerator?
These sliders will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days if kept in an air-tight container or bag. Much longer than 2 days and the bread and ingredients will get soft and mushy.
Can you reheat ham and cheese sliders?
Yep, most definitely! Just pop them back in your air fryer at 350 degrees for 2 – 4 minutes. They will be as delicious as ever!
They can also easily be reheated in an oven, microwave or toaster oven.
Can I freeze the ham and cheese sliders?
Absolutely! I would encourage you to assemble them and then place them in a freezer-safe, air-tight container. They can remain frozen for up to 2 months.
Allow the sliders to thaw completely before continuing with the cooking process.
Can I make these ham and cheese sliders ahead of time?
Ideally, you should make them fairly close to the time that you are ready to bake and serve. I would suggest that you assemble them no more than 24 hours ahead of time and wait to add the aioli just before baking.
More Savory, Family Friendly Recipes To Try
- The Healthy Breakfast Sandwich
- Taco Cups with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread
- 8 Hawaiian rolls
- 16 slices deli ham
- 8 oz of Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Cut rolls in half and place 2 slices of ham folded to fit and 1 oz of cheese
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise and spices to make the aioli. Apply 1/2 tablespoon of aioli to top bun and place on the cheese.
- Place sliders in the air fryer basket and cook on 350 for 5 minutes.