Easy Pizza Pinwheels are the answer to a quick, tasty weeknight dinner, school lunch, or an after-school snack. Ready to serve in about 20 minutes to pizza lovers of ALL ages. You’ll fall in love with pizza all over again!
It’s been a long day and you get home and think about ordering pizza. The first thing you ask your family is what kind of pizza do you want???
Do you usually get the same response from everyone in YOUR household? I am going to guess that answer is a NO! I know I don’t.
Everyone has a different opinion, am I right? Honestly, it can be hard to satisfy everyone even if you go out to eat!
And somehow I’ve managed to have this site for this long and never post a pizza recipe. How is that possible? Well, that changes today!
Pizza pinwheels are the answer.
This is the perfect twist on a classic to satisfy everyone’s favorite pizza choices. Pizza Pinwheels are super duper easy to make so you can please everyone!
Even better, let your favorite people create their own favorite pizza from start to finish. That’s right – get the kids to help make dinner! Then send the leftovers for school lunches the next day – they’ll make a nice change from Rainbow Pinwheels! 😁
Ingredients Needed For Easy Pizza Pinwheels Recipe
- Prepared Pizza Dough – homemade pizza dough will work great too.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – choose the type of cheese you prefer most….provolone, cheddar, parmesan or gorgonzola are all super yummy.
- Pizza Sauce – There are so many different choices so you need to use what you love most.
- Pizza Toppings – ground beef, pepperoni, chicken, olives, spinach, onions, peppers, jalapenos or mushrooms are just a few ideas.
How to Make Easy Pizza Pinwheels
Need a 20-minute dinner idea – or prep ahead for school lunches? This is it. Seriously…make pizza pinwheels!
Roll out prepared pizza dough into a rectangle shape and about 1/4 inch thick.
Using 1/2 cup of cheese, layer it on the dough leaving a little space, approximately 1/2 inch, around the outside edge.
Place the desired pizza toppings on pizza dough.
Now drizzle the pizza sauce or sauce of your choice on top.
Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Pull the dough toward you pinching edges together as you go.
Cut into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick. Place slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Pizza Pinwheels Recipe Notes And Tips
- Cook the pinwheels at temperature stated on the prepared pizza dough package. It would be best to check at about 12 minutes to make sure they are baking correctly.
- Make your own pizza dough if you prefer instead of using pre-made.
- Sprinkle a very thin layer of flour down before you roll out the pizza dough. This will keep the dough from sticking to the surface and rolling the dough will go much smoother as well.
- If using pepperoni on your pinwheels, either use the mini pepperoni or cut the regular size pepperoni in half or fourth’s. The smaller pieces will be easier to eat in the smaller sized pinwheels.
Variations Of Pizza Pinwheels To Try
There are oodles of yummy combinations and flavors. Make 2 or 3 different flavors to suit everyone in your family. Here are a few of my favorites.
- BBQ Pizza – chicken, BBQ sauce, red onions and smoked gouda cheese
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza – chicken, spinach, mushrooms, alfredo sauce and mozzarella cheese
- Hawaiian Pizza – canadian bacon, turkey bacon, pizza sauce, green peppers, pineapple and mozzarella cheese
- Veggie Pizza – mushrooms, onions, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, basil and jalapenos
- Pesto Pizza – pesto sauce, chicken, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese
Can I use homemade pizza dough for these Pizza Pinwheels?
Absolutely! If you have the time and would prefer making your own then go for it. 🙂
How long will my Pizza Pinwheels keep in the fridge?
Your pinwheels will keep for 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator. Make sure they are in an air-tight container or resealable plastic bag.
Can I freeze these Pizza Pinwheels?
Yes! Before putting them in the freezer, cool them completely and place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They can be kept frozen for up to 2 months.
What is the best method for re-heating these Pizza Pinwheels?
If you are re-heating directly from the freezer, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 375 degrees for approximately 5 – 8 or until completely warmed through.
To re-heat from the fridge, microwave on high for 30 – 45 seconds. Or place in an air-fryer for approximately 1 minute or until warmed through.
Can I assemble my Pizza Pinwheels the night before and cook the next day?
YES! You can assemble the pizza pinwheels the night before. This will allow the ingredients inside to chill, set up, and the flavors to marry together. Be sure to store in an air-tight container until you are ready to bake.
More Yummy, Fun, Kid-Friendly Dinner Recipes to Try
Pizza pinwheels are just one easy meal idea that kids love…try these others too!
- The BEST Homemade Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- Taco Cups with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
- Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Pin For Later!
- Prepared pizza dough
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 - 1 cup pizza sauce
- Desired pizza toppings - ie., pepperoni, olives, ground beef, onions, etc
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough to rectangle shape and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Layer on 1/2 the cheese leaving a little space around the edges.
- Add desired toppings.
- Drizzle or spread on the pizza sauce.
- Tops with remaining cheese.
- . Roll toward you pinching the edges together slightly as you go.
- Cut into slices and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.