If you are a fan of that yummy candy bar that has shortbread, caramel, and chocolate you will definitely fall in LOVE with our Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies.
Shortbread cookies are one of those cookies that I always thought only professionals could make. Until now!
These cookies are SO good – the perfect shortbread base and the addition of the caramel and chocolate drizzle puts them over the top.
There are just certain flavors or foods that belong together, wouldn’t you agree. Of course, chocolate goes with pretty much everything, right?!?!
And then there is caramel and shortbread cookie goodness that ties ALL the flavors together.
These cookies have the perfect portions of all three in one scrumptious bite.
You are not going to believe how easy these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies are to make. Whip up a batch or two of the shortbread ahead of time. Stick one batch in the freezer for another time.
They’re so quick and easy to have on hand for absolutely any occasion!
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make delicious caramel shortbread cookies.
- Butter – room temperature
- White Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour – baking flour will work too
- Caramel Squares – any brand will work well
- Milk – 2% or whole
- Chocolate Chips – sweet or semi-sweet
How To Make Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies
The process for making these cookies may seem long, but it’s actually simple and easy to follow.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking sheets or parchment paper.
Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract.
Next, slowly beat in flour until well incorporated.
On a floured surface, fold out the dough. Place parchment paper on top of the dough and roll out the dough to 1/4″ thickness.
Cut out cookies using a round cookie cutter. You may have to re-roll the dough as needed while cutting out the cookies.
On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place the cookie cut outs about 1 inch apart.
Bake the cookies for 12 – 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Now, it is time to prepare the caramel topping.
Combine 1/2 of the caramels and 2 tbsp of milk in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat if needed.
Drizzle approximately 1 tablespoon onto each cooled cookie.
After all the cookies have been topped with caramel, microwave the chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed.
Drizzle the melted chocolate over the caramel on the cookies. Allow the cookies to set completely before serving.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies Recipe Notes And Tips
- Repeat melting the caramel with the remaining milk as needed to top each cookie. I prefer to melt the caramel in smaller increments as the caramel tends to harden quickly.
- This recipe will make about 40 caramel shortbread cookies depending on the size and shape of the cookie cutter you use.
- Cover the caramel layer completely with the melted chocolate if you prefer more chocolate than just a drizzled layer.
- Room temperature butter will allow the ingredients to bond together better, create an evenly textured batter so you end up with a soft and flaky cookie.
Variations Of Caramel Shortbread Cookies To Try
- Sprinkle a little sea salt or coarse Kosher salt on top of the cookies before they set for that delicious sweet and savory yumminess!
- Use different, fun shapes of cookies cutters to cut the shortbread dough. This could change the amount of cookies that you can cut out of the dough.
- Drizzle white chocolate or dark chocolate over the caramel topping for a delicious change to your caramel shortbread cookies.
- Add in some very finely chopped pecans to the dough before baking for extra crunch and nuttiness!
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies FAQs
Here are a couple of common questions and their answers. If you have a question you don’t see down below, please leave it in the comments so I can answer it!
Should I store these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies in the refrigerator?
My suggestion would be not to store them in the refrigerator. Keeping them in the refrigerator will make the caramel and chocolate harden.
If you keep them in an air-tight container at room temperature, the caramel and chocolate will remain creamy, soft, and delicious.
I will want to put a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper in between the layers of cookies so the caramel and chocolate topping does not stick to the other cookies.
Can I freeze these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies?
The shortbread cookies will freeze very nicely without the toppings.
I would not suggest freezing them after the caramel and chocolate have been added. If you do and then defrost them, there will likely be condensation that will potentially make the cookies soggy.
Are shortbread cookie dough supposed to be dry?
The dough will be dry and crumbly which is totally normal. The dough will bake up into a delicious buttery, flaky cookie.
More Mouthwatering Recipes To Try
If you love these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies, you’ll love these other recipes too!
- Easy and Festive Holiday Fruitcake Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Adorable Santa Gnome Cake Mix Cookies
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups caramel squares
- 6 tbsp milk, as needed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and then slowly beat in the flour until just incorporated.
- Fold the dough out onto a floured surface. Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough and roll out until 1/4" thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter and cut out 40 cookies, re-rolling the dough as needed.
- Place the cut cookies on the prepared baking sheets, about 1" apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool as you prepare the caramel topping.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of caramels and 2 Tablespoons milk and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed.
- Portion out the caramel in 1 tablespoon increments onto each cooled cookie.
- (Repeat melting the caramels with milk as needed to top each cookie. I prefer to do this in small increments as the caramel tends to harden quickly.)
- Once all shortbread cookies are topped with caramel, place the chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the caramel-topped cookies.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely before serving or storing.