Your family and friends will be amazed that these Vanilla Crinkle Cookies are made with a cake mix and just a couple of other ingredients. This great recipe is perfect for cookie swaps, cookie tins, and bake sales! Vanilla crackle cookies are a holiday staple, super easy to make, and perfect for any day of the year.
Cookies! These cake mix cookies only need 4 ingredients in order to create near magic. They’re simple but incredible. Easy but extraordinary.
Too much? Not at all – and you’ll know exactly what I mean when you taste them!
There are days and sometimes weeks that my time is limited or I feel rushed between working, running errands, and trying to be a good parent. I try to look for shortcuts that will save me time yet help me get everything done on my to-do list.
And then there are those days when I realize that I forgot that I signed up to provide class treats for my kids’ party at school. I bet you can relate, right?!?!?
Well, these cookies are the answer to help find more time in your schedule for all the right reasons…..simple, easy, magical, and versatile.
How to Make Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
You’re gonna love the soft cookies that you get from this easy recipe!
Ingredients Needed For Vanilla Crinkle Cookies Recipe
You just need a few simple ingredients! Gather together:
- Vanilla Cake Mix – any brand will work
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Icing Sugar – also called powdered sugar, confectioners’ sugar, or 10X sugar
NOTE: For more recipe details, please check out the handy printable recipe card at the bottom of the post!
How To Make Vanilla Crinkle Cookies
Vanilla Crinkle Cookies are SO easy to make! Just follow these steps.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and then line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
Combine cake mix, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl until mixed thoroughly, approximately 2 minutes.
Scoop out about 1 1/2 tbsp cookie batter and shape dough into a ball.
Pro Tip: If you need some help getting an even amount each time, I recommend using a small cookie scoop!
Toss and coat each ball individually and completely in the powdered icing sugar.
Place the balls on the lined cookie sheet at least 3″ apart.
Bake for 10 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden brown and spread out.
Remove from the oven and put the cookies on a cooling rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet.
Vanilla Crinkle Cookies Recipe Notes And Tips
Here are a few tips you can use to make sure this simple recipe turns out just the way you want it to every time!
- If you feel that your dough is not sturdy enough to shape into balls, put the dough in the refrigerator and chill until you feel that it is the right consistency to continue.
- Melted butter will work in place of vegetable oil if you prefer. Use 1/3 cup butter the same as you would the oil.
- Cookie dough will be very sticky. Rolling the dough balls in powdered sugar helps!
- Maximize your crinkles by coating your dough with lots of powdered sugar.
- This dough freezes very well. Roll into balls. Coat the cookie balls with the powdered sugar then place on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once the balls are frozen, remove them from the cookie sheet and put in freezer safe plastic bag. The frozen dough can remain frozen for up to 6 months.
Variations Of Vanilla Crinkle Cookies To Try
The perfect cookie may be different from one day to another! Here are some ideas to keep your cookie jar filled with new and exciting varieties! Make different varieties of these crowd-favorite Christmas cookies is also a great way to supply cookie swaps!
- Add color – Add a little splash of color to your Vanilla Crinkle Cookies by adding any color or rainbow sprinkles to your cookie batter.
- Include nuts – Try adding some toasted hazelnuts, chopped almonds, or walnuts to the dough. Toasting them first will bring out the earthy, nutty flavor of the nuts.
- Make them festive – Adding food coloring will not change the flavor but it will certainly brighten up your holiday cookie platter. Use red and green for Christmas, orange for Halloween, or pastel food coloring for spring or Easter celebrations.
- Change the flavor – All you have to do is use a different flavor box of cake mix! Use a lemon cake mix for lemon crinkle cookies, strawberry cake mix for strawberry crinkle cookies, or chocolate cake mix for chocolate crinkle cookies. You could also red velvet crinkle cookies (with red velvet cake mix), chai crinkle cookies, and any other flavor you want.
- Add a flavor punch – The addition of flavor enhancers can make a huge different with little work! Toss in some shaved mint chocolate, chocolate chips, vanilla bean paste, lemon zest, a splash of lemon juice, or a couple of teaspoons vanilla extract for a little extra zip of flavor. YUM!
Christmas Crinkle Cookie FAQs
Here are some answers to common questions I see readers ask about crinkle cookie recipes. If you have a question and don’t see it down below, please leave it in the comments so I can answer it for you!
How long will the Vanilla Crinkle Cookies stay fresh?
These cookies will retain their texture and taste yummy for up to 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature. There is no need to keep them in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze Vanilla Crinkle Cookies?
Most cookies freeze very nicely, and these are no exception. They can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months if you store them in an airtight freezer bag (I prefer to double-bag them).
Should I chill my dough and if so, how long?
If the dough is not sturdy enough to form into a ball, I would recommend that you chill the dough for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
If I freeze the dough for my Vanilla Crinkle Cookies, do I need to thaw out the cookie balls before I bake them?
Once you remove them from the freezer and are ready to bake, place the frozen balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator overnight and allow to thaw. Once thawed, bake as directed.
More Incredible Dessert Recipes To Try For All Occasions
- Homemade Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Fruity Cocomelon Rainbow Popsicles
- Festive Red, White and Blue Cake Balls
- Easy Colorful Rainbow Donuts
Pin For Later!
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup powdered icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil until smooth and completely combined, approximately 2 minutes.
- Use a 1 1/2 tbsp cookie scoop to portion out the cooke batter then roll into balls.
- Place each ball of dough individually in the powdered icing sugar and toss to coat completely.
- Place each sugar coated dough ball at least 3 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden and spread out.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before attempting to remove to a cooling rack.