Our creamy Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup is unbelievably quick and easy…and it tastes even better! It cooks in under 30 minutes and delivers a rich and creamy soup your family will ask you to make again and again!
Some of my favorite days with my kids are snow days when school is called off. It means that we can sleep a little later, spend the day together, and lounge around under a nice warm blanket.
We stay in our pj’s all day, eat snacks instead of regular meals, and don’t have to follow the ‘normal rule’ or ‘schedule of the day’. Or maybe we go and throw snowballs or make igloos!
And one thing that my kids request on snowy days like that is a warm, comforting bowl of soup. My kids LOVE this Potato Leek soup! It’s rich and creamy, and packed with flavor.
Leeks are one of those ingredients that I think we are sometimes hesitant to try because it is not something we normally buy or use on a regular basis.
Well, it is time to jump out of your ‘box’ and give leeks a try.
The Creamiest Potato And Leek Soup Recipe
Russet potatoes give this soup structure and creaminess along with the half and half and yogurt. The sweet, oniony flavor of the leeks will take this soup to the next level of yumminess.
Now, I am also a sucker for potato…ANYTHING! From my Crispy Garlic Parm Accordion Potatoes to my Crock Pot Baked Potatoes and every way to enjoy them in between, I have a soft spot for potatoes, for sure!
Here you have the best of all things ‘potato’ in one flavorful and satisfying bowl. Make sure you have all the ingredients on hand when the weather turns cold and snowy.
Then warm up with a bowl of this delish Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup.
Convert your recipes between cooking methods effortlessly! Download now 👇👇
If you love potato soups, be sure to check out my The BEST Instant Pot Sausage Potato Spinach Soup, and I have more coming too, so be sure to check back!
If you want more scrumptious soup recipes, try my Turkey Rice Soup or Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. And make it a complete meal with my Copycat Fuji Apple Salad.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this delicious soup!
- Leeks – a sweet, oniony flavor that adds a depth of flavor to soups and stews
- Russet Potatoes
- Carrots – peel them yourself or use baby carrots to save time.
- Minced Garlic
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Half and Half – half whole milk and half heavy cream for a thick, creamier soup
- Soy Sauce – add extra seasoning and saltiness to the dis
- Nature’s Seasoning – blend of salt and spices, including paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic and chili pepper
- Broth – vegetable broth or chicken broth
How to Make Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup
This soup is super easy to make! Just follow these instructions to have it ready to enjoy in practically no time!
To prepare the leek, cut the top of the leek leaves away just below where the leaves are light green and the stalk resembles a trunk. Also, remove the end of the stalk where the leek hairs are.
Once you have removed the excess leek, cut the trunk in half longways and rinse with water. Leeks are grown in sandy soil and are very gritty.
Now place half-sliced trunks down and slice into then half-moons. Place chopped leeks in a salad spinner to wash and rinse. You can soak in cold water to allow grit to fall to the bottom of the bowl if you don’t have a salad spinner.
In the instant pot, place the butter and set to sauté mode. Once the butter has melted, add the leeks and carrots. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes.
Peel and cut potatoes into 1” cubes.
Add garlic and spices to the sauté and add the broth, soy sauce, and half and half. Add Potatoes and submerge them.
Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure.
Add soup to a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Add yogurt and stir it in.
Let cool and serve!
Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup Recipe Notes And Tips
- Don’t have a salad spinner? Soak the leek pieces in cold water to allow grit to fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- An immersion blender will work if you do not have a blender. Avoid hitting the sides or bottom of your pot so you don’t scratch the non-stick surface.
- If dairy products are something you need to avoid, you can replace the half and half and yogurt with the dairy-free options.
- Russet potatoes have a high starch content. They are a perfect choice as they will add a creaminess and smooth texture to the soup.
Variations Of Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup To Try
- Onion is one of my favorite flavors, so I would definitely add some chopped onions to the vegetables during the saute step.
- Add some chopped chives on the top of your bowl of soup to give it a pop of color and add to the luscious onion flavor of the soup.
- Crumbled bacon, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese or a splash of hot sauce are all perfect options to add to your bowl of Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup.
Can I freeze this Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup?
This soup will freeze very nicely for up to three months if stored in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
How long can I keep my Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup in the refrigerator?
Store the soup in an air-tight container and it will keep in the fridge for about 2 – 3 days.
Can I make this Instant Pot Potato and Leek Soup on the stovetop?
This recipe is so versatile that you can not only make it in the instant pot but also on the stovetop and the crock pot.
You will just need to adjust some of the steps a bit to accomplish the same outcome on the stovetop. Allow the vegetables to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until they are soft and cooked through. They will need to be cooked through to get the best puree in the blender or with the hand mixer.
Convert your recipes between cooking methods effortlessly! Download now 👇👇
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
If you love this Instant Pot Potato and Leek soup, try these other delicious recipes too!
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
- 25+ Best Crock Pot Soups – Easy Slow Cooker Soups
The Best Instant Pot Potato And Leek Soup
- 1 stalk of leek
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nature's seasoning
- 5 cups broth
- Begin by preparing the leek by cutting the top of the leave away below where the leaves are light green and the stalk resembles the trunk. Also be sure to remove the end of the stalk where leek hairs are.
- After you have removed the excess leek, cut trunk half long ways and rinse. You will want to rinse well to get all the grit out.
- Now slice the trunk halves into half-moons and place in a salad spinner to wash and rinse.
- Place the butter in the instant pot and set to saute mode. Once the butter is melted, add leeks and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Now peel the potatoes. Cut the peeled potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Add garlic and spices and saute for a minute or so. Add the broth, soy sauce and half and half. Add potatoes to the instant pot and make sure they are full submerged in the liquid.
- Seal lid and pressure valve. Set Instant Pot to cook on high for 20 minutes. Once the cooking if finished, you will need to manually release the pressure.
- Add contents of instant pot to a blend and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Finally add yogurt and stir in mixing well.
- Cool and serve.
Leave a Reply