Smookies are s’mores with a twist! They’re inspired and transformed from a classic campfire treat into a sweet cookie treat that can be enjoyed all year long.
S’mores are very often a summer go-to treat, right? I love the flavors of marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate (like in this S’mores Snack Mix).
They’re delicious individually, but they achieve all-new levels of magic when blended together around a campfire to make that iconic treat.
But have you heard of Smookies? They are a delightful combination of chocolate chip cookies AND s’mores. And the best part is that you can make them year-round with no campfire required. LOL
Just imagine combining the best chocolate chip cookie in the world with all the ooey-gooey goodness of a s’more.
I am certain that you and your family and friends are going to LOVE the combination of flavors. Who wouldn’t!
So why not whip up a batch of Smookies and judge for yourself how well all the flavors fuse together to give you a campfire feel all year long.
If you are looking for more yummy, kid-approved cookie recipes, try my
- Rice Krispie Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
Ingredients Needed For Smookies
All you need are 4 simple ingredients:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – 1 tube, frozen or homemade
- Milk Chocolate Candy Bars – Hershey’s or your favorite brand
- Marshmallows – large, cut in half
- Graham Crackers – any brand
How To Make Smookies
It’s easy! Just follow these step-by-step instructions.
Begin by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Next, slice the frozen cookie dough into 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices.
Put half of the cookie dough slices on a baking sheet. They will spread as they bake so you want to make sure to have plenty of space between each cookie.
On the top of each cookie slice, place half a graham cracker, 1/3 of a chocolate bar, and 1/2 of a large marshmallow (cut a large marshmallow in half).
Place another half of the cookie dough on top of the marshmallow.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve while warm and enjoy!
Smookies Recipe Notes And Tips
- Crush the graham crackers into a very fine crumb. You can incorporate them through the cookie dough instead of placing a piece of graham cracker on top of the cookie.
- Use a medium-size cookie scoop if you are using homemade dough instead of frozen dough. This will ensure that all the cookies are evenly sized.
- Allow the baked Smookies to cool completely before storing them in an air-tight container with parchment paper between each layer of cookies.
Variations Of Smookies To Try
- Add different mix-ins like peanut butter chips, sprinkles, or M&M’s instead of chocolate bar pieces.
- Spread peanut butter on one of the cookies and marshmallow cream on the other. You just made a Fluffer Nutter Smookie! YUM!
- Change up the type of cookie you use so instead of chocolate chip you might consider peanut butter cookies, butterscotch cookies, or even a snickerdoodle.
Here are some questions I often see readers ask. If you have a question but don’t see it below, please leave it in the comments.
What are Smookies?
A Smookie is a cross between a cookie and a S’more. It has yummy charred marshmallows on top of a chocolate chip cookie, chocolate bar, and graham cracker.
What is the best way to store the Smookies?
If you store them in an air-tight container at room temperature, they will stay fresh for up 3 – 4 days.
If you wish to store them in the refrigerator, put them in an air-tight container as well. To take the chill off and get them ooey-gooey again, simply pop them in the microwave for 10 – 15 seconds.
Can I freeze Smookies?
You can definitely freeze these delicious morsels. Keep in mind that they may not be quite as pretty and pristine as they were before you froze them but they will most certainly be just as yummy.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes, you can make them 2 – 3 days ahead of time but of course, they will taste the best warm right out of the oven.
Can I make my own cookie dough for these Smookies instead of using pre-made?
If you have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that you love, by all means, use your homemade cookie recipe.
This would be the perfect time to make an extra batch or two of the cookies and either freeze the dough into a log or dough balls. Freeze them on a sheet pan until hard then place them in a freezer bag to store. This will save oodles of time for the next time you are ready to make more of these delicious treats.
More Unique and Scrumptious Cookie Recipes To Try
If you love these Smokies and want even more tasty cookie recipes, check out these ideas:
- Matcha Snickerdoodles Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- Sugar Cookie American Flag Fruit Pizza Cookie
- Vanilla Crinkle Cookies
- 1 tube chocolate chip cookie dough, frozen
- Milk Chocolate Candy Bars
- marshmallows, cut in half
- Graham Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice cookie dough into ¼ to ½ inch slices and place half of the slices on the baking sheet (these spread quite a bit so leave plenty of space in between each cookie).
- On each cookie layer half a graham cracker, ⅓ of the chocolate bar, and one marshmallow cut in half.
- Place another piece of sliced cookie dough on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!