Our Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream is addictively delicious. This creamy homemade ice cream is chock full of chewy, flavorful cookie dough pieces. But the BEST part is that this is a no-churn ice cream recipe.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream is absolutely the best homemade ice cream recipe ever! I never pass up the combination of cookie dough mixed with ice cream. 😉
It definitely hits the spot on a hot summer day, and it’s a perfect crowd-pleaser.
This is an eggless cookie dough but you must heat treat the flour to make sure the mixture is safe to eat. Once the dough is made, you can mix it into the ice cream batter and freeze it in your ice cream maker.
This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is going to be in your freezer ALL summer long. And you can make it even better when you add some Homemade Magic Shell. YUM YUM!
If you want more fantastic ice cream recipes, try my:
- Homemade No Churn Raspberry Ice Cream
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 3-Ingredient Frozen Banana Ice Cream with Nutella
Why This Recipe Works:
- You don’t need to cook the ice cream batter.
- Homemade cookie dough chunks in creamy ice cream.
- Super simple to make and always a hit.
This ice cream has a sweet cream ice cream base that’s filled with sweet bites of chocolate chip cookie dough. You only need four ingredients for the ice cream and the cookie dough is easy to make, too!
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this scrumptious Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
- Flour – remove the bacteria from the flour by baking on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Brown Sugar
- Salted Butter – softened
- White Sugar
- Chocolate Chips – mini chocolate chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- White Sugar
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Here’s the process for making this ice cream – since you make the dough separately, it’s a two-part process.
Mix the brown sugar, white sugar, and butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Add in the vanilla and salt and mix well.
Next, add the heat-treated flour to the bowl and mix until the dough forms.
Pour in the chocolate chips and fold them into the dough.
Using a cookie scoop or teaspoon, scoop out the dough and place it in the palm of your hand. Roll the dough until it forms a small ball to make the cookie dough bites.
Place the cookie dough balls in the fridge to cool and set while you are making the base of the ice cream.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream into soft peaks. Be sure not to over-whisk.
Once the soft peaks are formed, add sugar, vanilla. Then fold in the cookie dough bites, evenly distributing them throughout the ice cream base.
Pour the ice cream base into a bread pan or a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for 6 – 8 hours or overnight.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Recipe Notes and Tips
- It is very important to prepare your flour by cooking it to remove any bacteria. To do that you will need to spread the flour on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for five minutes at 350°.
- Start by making a batch of the egg-free chocolate chip cookie dough. Place it in the fridge so it will set and firm up while you are preparing the ice cream base.
- Making the cookie dough pieces smaller will ensure that they can be evenly distributed throughout the whole batch of ice cream
- Use mini chocolate chips instead of regular-sized chocolate chips.
- It is best if the ice cream can be put in the freezer overnight before serving. It will still be on the softer side if you eat it within about 10 hours of freezing it, so more time in the freezer is better.
Variations Of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
The best of both worlds is cookie dough flavored ice cream with delicious chunks of cookie dough, wouldn’t you agree!?!?
Check out this easy recipe for cookie dough ice cream.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 scant cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
Melt butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally, cook until butter is light brown, being very careful not to burn.
Pour the browned butter and the yummy browned bits into a larger bowl and cool until it is at room temperature…..about 15 – 20 minutes.
After the butter is cool, add in the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and vanilla.
Whisk until thoroughly combined. Proceed with the rest of the recipe as written.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream FAQS
Here are a few of the more frequently asked questions you may have before making this homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. If you have an additional question, please leave us a comment below and we will do our best to answer it!
Can you eat raw flour in cookie dough?
Normally, I would not recommend eating raw cookie dough.
With this recipe, you must heat treat your flour to prevent anyone from getting sick. This heat treatment of the flour will kill off any bacteria that may be in the flour.
How do you heat treat the flour?
The process is very easy and takes just a little bit of time. Simply spread the flour onto a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees.
Do not overcook the flour, or it may have a bitter burnt taste which will impact the flavor of the cookie dough. Allow the flour to cool completely.
How do I store homemade ice cream?
In the freezer, of course! 😉 It is best if you store the ice cream in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Mom Pro Tip: place your container of ice cream in the back of the freezer, because it’s the coldest section of the freezer.
How long does homemade ice cream stay fresh in the freezer?
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream will keep in the freezer for 2-3 weeks if stored in a freezer-safe container. If it is kept in the freezer longer than that, it will start to crystallize.
That means ice will start to form on the top and could change the texture and flavor of the ice cream.
More Tasty Summer Treats To Try
If you love this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, make sure to check out these other delicious recipes!
- Easy Mango Popsicles
- Summer Berry Cream Cake
- Homemade Root Beer Float Popsicles
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Fruit Tacos With Fresh Berries
- 1 cup flour cooked - prepare your flour by cooking it to remove any bacteria. Spread the flour on a cookie sheet in the oven for five minutes at 350°.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, and butter.
- Next add in your vanilla, and salt. Mix.
- Add to flour to the bowl. Mix until dough forms.
- Adding your chocolate chips and fold them into your dough.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out cookie dough and place it in between the palms of your hands. Rub your palms together to form a ball to make cookie dough bites. Set aside in the refrigerator and make your ice cream base.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Do not over whisk.
- Once soft peaks are formed, add sugar, vanilla, and cookie dough bites. Fold in to evenly distribute the bites.
- Pour mixture into a bread pan and freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.