Our Freezer Breakfast Burritos are simple and easy to prepare and are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast meal the whole family will love for those busy mornings. Pack your freezer burritos with all your family’s favorite breakfast fixin’s to keep you full and satisfied all morning.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos are one of my all-time favorite breakfast ideas. They are inexpensive, super easy to prepare, a breeze to customize, and incredibly yummy!
In our home, there are some of us who do not want or need to eat as soon as we get up. But there are those in our family that MUST have breakfast as soon as they can, or they get angry. Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day, after all! 😁
I am one of those people that does not eat when I get up, nor do I want to have to go into the kitchen every day and prepare breakfast.
It was hard to find a good balance between making sure my family had a nutritious and filling breakfast before school or work and making sure I could get myself out the door in the morning without a lot of extra work to do (because I’m often not even fully awake yet!).
The answer to crazy mornings
And, of course, there are always those mornings when someone oversleeps (or hits the snooze button too many times)! So having a go-to that you can take with you out the door on those rushed mornings is a must.
We like my Blueberry Oatmeal Cups, but this frozen burrito idea is a great savory breakfast idea for when you’re a little hungrier!
Well, I can tell you that once I found this freezer breakfast burritos recipe, it was a total game changer. Burritos are seriously one of our favorite breakfast foods!
The recipe literally takes 30 – 40 minutes to assemble and prepare for the freezer. Viola!
Now you have an almost instant breakfast for those in your family that are breakfast lovers. All you have to do is grab a couple from the freezer, put them in the fridge overnight, and your family can do the rest as they are headed out the door.
Ingredients needed for make-ahead breakfast burritos recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make your family-friendly breakfast burritos!
- Frozen Potatoes – hashbrowns are my preference
- Olive Oil
- Sausage– cooked and crumbled
- Milk – 1%, 2% or whole
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – freshly ground
- Refried Beans – canned or homemade
- Tortillas – pre-made or homemade
- Cheddar Cheese – grated
- Tomatoes – chopped
- Cilantro – fresh leaves, chopped
How to make freezer breakfast burritos
Here are the steps to follow to make this make-ahead breakfast.
Begin by beating the eggs, chopping the tomatoes, grating the cheese, heating the refried beans, and frying the potatoes.
Next, add oil to a large skillet and fry the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
In the pan with the sausage, add the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir continuously until the scrambled eggs are cooked.
Now begin building the burrito by spreading the refried beans on the tortilla. Then add a layer of potatoes.
Next, add the egg/sausage mixture, cheese, and tomatoes.
Roll the tortilla into a burrito. Put in a baking dish with the seam down. Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
Homemade freezer breakfast burrito recipe notes and tips
- Sour cream and salsa are delicious additions to this recipe. I would suggest not adding sour cream or salsa to the burrito before freezing. The sour cream will not hold up well in the freezer, and the salsa will add additional moisture, which will make them watery when thawing and reheating.
- If you need to reheat and serve directly out of the freezer, I recommend using the defrost feature on your microwave for 2-3 minutes before microwaving on high for 1-2 minutes.
- You certainly do not have to limit your burritos to just breakfast. They would be great for an easy lunch or weeknight dinner.
How to meal prep breakfast burritos
The advantage of this recipe is that you can prepare several make-ahead freezer breakfast burritos at one time so that you’re prepared for the week or the month, depending on how often you eat them.
I find the best results when I make these easy breakfast burritos and start by cooking a big batch of all the scrambled eggs, meat, etc. Then I use an assembly line to put the burritos together and get them ready to freeze.
Variations of freezer breakfast burritos to try
This is a fabulous recipe to use as a building block, yet you can change up almost all of these healthy ingredients to suit your and your family’s preferences.
- Flour tortillas – use whole wheat, regular, spinach, or sun-dried
- Meat/Protein – chicken, bacon, turkey bacon, ham, chorizo, sausage, turkey sausage, black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans
- Veggies – mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, or jalapenos
- Potatoes – hash browns, potato rounds, or diced hash browns
- Toppings – Cheese (Mexican, pepper jack, Monterrey jack), avocados, queso, or sour cream
- Salsa – Picante sauce, salsa, hot sauce (or your preferred heat level), salsa verde, or green chile sauce
Frozen breakfast burrito recipe FAQs
My recommendation would be to wrap these freezer breakfast burritos individually in wax paper or parchment paper, then aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Place the burritos in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer-safe ziploc bag.
It is best to write the date the burritos were placed in the freezer on the aluminum foil or on the outside of the freezer bag. This will help you keep track of how long they have been in the freezer.
These Freezer Breakfast Burritos will keep very nicely in the freezer for 3 – 5 months. Once frozen items begin to lose moisture, freezer burn begins to develop.
So you can freeze them longer than suggested, but the quality and flavor will begin to diminish the longer they remain frozen.
Before re-heating the burrito, it is best if you thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or until the center of the burrito is no longer frozen solid.
Tip: If you reheat directly out of the freezer, you will risk overcooking the ingredients, especially the eggs. If the burritos are mostly thawed, it will take less heat to reheat.
The most common way to reheat would be by wrapping the burrito in a moist paper towel (so it doesn’t dry out) and placing it in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes on high.
Or you can place them in a skillet on medium-low heat until the tortillas are crispy and heated through. I would also recommend popping the burritos in an air-fryer for about 2 – 4 minutes. You can experiment to see what works best with your appliance.
Yes, you can, although flour tortillas tend to maintain their structure better. I use corn tortillas for certain recipes, but I prefer flour tortillas for these easy freezer breakfast burritos.
If you don’t want a soft (read that as soggy) tortilla after reheating your burrito, just heat it up in the microwave and then give it a quick crisp-up in a skillet on the stove or in the air fryer.
More healthy delicious breakfast recipes
If you love this easy breakfast burrito recipe, check out these other delicious ideas too!
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal: A Breakfast Must-Have
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Irresistible Almond Blueberry Granola
- Delicious And Hearty Baked Oatmeal Recipe with Fruit
- The Best Easy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes (Paleo Approved)
- 2 cups frozen potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Sausages
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can of refried beans
- 8 flour cakes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Prepare all ingredients.
2. Bring potatoes to readiness
3. Add oil to the pan, fry the sausage for 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
4. Add eggs, milk, salt, pepper. Cook by stirring.
5. Put the beans in the middle of the cake, potatoes on them.
6. Then the egg mixture and all the remaining ingredients.
7. Roll up like a burrito. Put in a form with a seam down, cook in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes.