Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream blends together the flavors of white chocolate, milk chocolate, and crushed Oreo cookies on a bed of Chex cereal and then dusted in powdered sugar for a chocolaty Oreo puppy chow snack mix all your favorite people will love!
When you want a movie night treat, what do you reach for (or make)?
Does the name puppy chow sound familiar? This treat (and its MANY flavor variations) can interchangeably be called muddy buddies or puppy chow.
What Are Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies are a no-bake cereal snack mix made using some version of Chex® cereal. There are several different flavors – all covered in powdered sugar- that offer an ideal sweet and salty combination to provide ultimate taste bud satisfaction.
This snack mix is also often called puppy chow because the snack mix often resembles dog food. It may not be the most attractive treat, but don’t let that fool you. Try one bite and you’ll be hooked! Make no mistake, though – this is NOT meant for pets!
You may also hear this snack mix referred to by other names such as monkey munch or reindeer chow.
Ingredients Needed For Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delicious puppy chow!
- Chex Cereal – wheat, corn or rice or a combination of all
- Oreos – crushed or chopped
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Chips – semi-sweet or regular
- Powdered Icing Sugar – powdered sugar is the same thing
How to Make Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow
In two large bowls, place 2 1/2 cups of the Chex mix into each of the bowls and then set aside.
Using a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, put 1 cup of the powdered sugar in the bag and set the bag aside.
Next, open up each of the Oreo cookies and scrape out the creamy middle part. Set the filling to the side.
Place the 16 halves of the Oreo cookie in a food processor and pulse until the Oreo cookies are finely crumbled.
In a second gallon-size resealable plastic bag, place the Oreo crumbs and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar. Seal and shake to mix thoroughly.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips. Once the white chocolate chips are completely melted, add in the filling from the center of the Oreo’s. Stir until completely combined.
Now, you will pour the white chocolate mixture over 1 of the bowls of Chex Mix that you prepared earlier. Stir to coat.
Now scoop this mixture into the bag with the 1 cup powdered sugar, seal, and shake to coat. Make sure all the cereal is completely covered with powdered sugar.
Next, melt the chocolate chips in the same manner that you melted the white chips. Pour this melted chocolate over the 2nd bowl of Chex Mix and stir to coat completely.
Scoop the chocolate-covered Chex Mix into the bag with the Oreo crumbs and powdered sugar mixture. Seal and shake to completely coat the cereal.
Place the contents of both bags of cookies and cream muddy buddies onto a cookie sheet or baking sheet and allow the chocolate to cool and set for about 30 minutes.
After you have allowed the two mixtures to set up, stir together completely before serving or storing your Oreo puppy chow. Garnish with mini Oreo’s if you wish.
Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow Recipe Notes And Tips
- Try not to over mix while stirring. The chunkiness is the best part. YUM
- The amount of chocolate chips and powdered sugar you add is sort of subjective. LOL You may need to add more powdered sugar to make sure that all of the chex mix is completely covered.
- This recipe is super simple to double or triple so that you can have plenty for your family and even put some in the freezer for another event or just to have on hand.
Variations of Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream To Try
- Change up the Chex cereal. Corn Chex will work, but I tend to prefer rice Chex since it has a more neutral flavor.
- Try a different kind of cookies, such as sugar cookies, chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies.
- This recipe can be made totally gluten free. The only chex mix that is NOT gluten free is the wheat chex. And more great news…..there are gluten free Oreo’s. YAY!
Here are some common questions I see readers ask about our Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream recipe. If you don’t see your question below, please leave it in the comments so I can answer it!
How do I store puppy chow?
I store muddy buddies in a large gallon-sized resealable plastic bag or another air-tight container. It’s essential to keep humidity and moisture away from the snack mix or it will dissolve the powdered sugar, making the treat sticky and stale. Eewwwww.
Can I store my Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream at room temperature and for how long?
Yes, you can definitely store it at room temperature for up to 1 week…..if it lasts that long at your house. 😉
Store it in a resealable plastic bag or air-tight container to keep it fresh as long as possible.
Can I freeze the Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream mix?
Yes, this yummy snack freezes great! Be sure to store it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or freezer bags for up to 6 months.
Once you remove it from the freezer, allow thawing at room temperature.
Love These Cookies And Cream Muddy Buddies?
If you love this Muddy Buddies Cookies and Cream recipe, check out these other delicious recipes too!
- Apple Nachos
- Peanut Butter, Nutella and Banana Sushi Rolls
- No-Bake Energy Ball
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 8 Oreo's
- 3/4 cups White Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered Icing Sugar
- Divide Chex cereal into two large bowls (2 1/2 cups in each) and set aside.
- Place 1 cup powdered icing sugar in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and set aside.
- Scrape OREO filling out of cookies and set aside. Place OREO cookies in a food processor and blitz until fine crumbs remain.
- Place OREO crumbs in a gallon-sized bag and add 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Seal and shake to combine.
- Place white chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and melt for 25 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed. Add OREO filling and stir until completely combine.
- Pour white chocolate mixture over one bowl of the Chex cereal and stir to coat.
- Scoop the Chex cereal into the bag with the (plain) powdered icing sugar, then seal and shake to coat the cereal completely with the powdered icing sugar.
- Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and melt for 25 seconds. Stir and reheat as needed.
- Pour melted chocolate chips over the second bowl of Chex ceral and stir to coat.
- Scoop the Chex cereal into the bag with the OREO crumb and powdered icing sugar mixture, then seal and shake to coat the cereal completely.
- Pour the two sugar-coated cereal mixtures onto a cookie sheet and allow the chocolate to set completely, approximately 30 minutes.
- Stir the two cereal mixtures together before storing or serving.
- Optionally, garnish with mini OREO cookies.