Our S’mores Cake Pops are going to be a big hit at your next potluck, camping trip, neighborhood party, or family get-together. Everything you love about s’mores in a mess-free, cute, and irresistible package!
Honestly, do you know anyone who doesn’t love s’mores? I definitely do not. LOL
There isn’t anything better than those ooey-gooey melted marshmallows, the sweetness of the graham crackers, and the rich and creamy chocolate.
S’mores are the perfect campfire treat but unless you are an avid camper there isn’t always a campfire handy. 😉
And we don’t have a fire pit in our yard, so we had to come up with another way to enjoy the world’s favorite camping treat!
So that’s the inspiration for these scrumptious S’mores Cake Pops. They’re super fun to make and incredibly easy to transport to any gathering without all the extra ingredients. No campfire, no problem!.
If you want more fun and delicious cake pop recipes, try my:
- Valentine Cake Pops
- St. Patrick’s Day Homemade Copycat Starbucks Cake Pops
- Witches Cauldron Easy Halloween Cake Pops!
Ingredients Needed For S’mores Cake Pops
- Devil’s Food Cake – chocolate cake mix is another good option
- Milk Chocolate Candy Melts – melted chocolate chips will work too
- Mini Marshmallows
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – crush your own graham crackers or them pre-crushed
- Cream Cheese Frosting
How To Make S’mores Cake Pops
Prepare the cake mix as per the instructions on the box. Bake and allow the cake to cool completely.
Crumble the cake and mix the cream cheese frosting into the crumbs. Mix thoroughly until it forms a cake dough.
With a small size cookie scoop, scoop up some dough and roll it into a ball. Place the ball onto a sheet pan or cake pan.
Repeat this process until you have used all the dough to make cake balls.
Next, insert the stick into the cake pops and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
Melt the chocolate melts by adding a small bit of oil into the chocolate.
Remove the cake pops from the refrigerator and dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate.
Spoon chocolate over the cake pop as needed to cover the pop completely with melted chocolate.
With the graham cracker crumbs, dust the cake pops to lightly cover.
Dip the bottom of the marshmallows into the melted chocolate. Place three marshmallows on the top of the cake pop.
Use a small culinary kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows for a fun campfire feel. This is completely optional but SO yummy!
S’mores Cake Pops Recipe Notes And Tips
- It is very important to allow the cake to cool completely before crumbling to form cake balls. If it is too warm, the cake will be too sticky.
- Use a piece of styrofoam to place your pop sticks in once you have dipped the cake balls into the batter. This will help keep them upright and not touching each other – or have to lay them down.
- Be sure to put the cake pops in the refrigerator after sprinkling with graham cracker crumbs for 1 – 2 hours so they harden and set up faster.
- Almond bark is another great option for the melted covering of the cake pop.
Variations Of S’mores Cake Pops To Try
- Instead of sprinkling graham crumbs on top, place a small graham cracker square on top of the marshmallows immediately after toasting the 3 marshmallows.
- Use white melting chocolate to dip your cake pop in, cover with graham cracker crumbs and 3 marshmallows then place a small square of chocolate bar on the top. YUM!
- Think outside the box a little and (instead of or in addition to) sprinkle your favorite chopped nuts such as almonds, peanuts, pistachios, or walnuts.
Here are a few questions I often see readers ask about making this recipe. If you have a question but don’t see it answered below, please leave it in the comments.
What is the purpose of the dab of oil while melting the chocolate melts?
The oil will help keep your chocolate from drying out while you are dipping your s’mores cake pops and while the cake pops are drying.
It will also help keep it smooth and glossy even once it has dried on the cake pop.
How long will my S’mores Cake Pops stay fresh?
You can store your cake pops at room temperature for up to a week. Or you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 – 3 weeks.
Can I freeze these S’mores Cake Pops?
Yes, absolutely! You can freeze your cake pops for up to 6 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Alternatively, you can freeze the molded balls before dipping them in the chocolate covering or freeze them already dipped.
Why do my cake pops keep falling apart?
It could be that your cake balls are too big and heavy or you have added a little too much frosting. Make the cake balls a little smaller or add in a bit more of the cake crumbs to even out the ratio of the mixture.
How can I keep the cake ball on the stick as I am dipping it into the chocolate?
That is a great question! Simply dip the end of your cake pop stick into the melted chocolate before inserting it into the cake ball. The chocolate will harden and hold the ball in place during the dipping process.
Or another option is to spoon the chocolate over the cake pop instead of dipping the cake ball into the chocolate.
More Kid-Friendly, Yummy Cake Treats To Try
If you love these S’mores Cake Pops and want even more fun, delicious treats, check out these ideas:
- Ice Cream Cakesicles
- Quick and Easy Sunshine Cupcakes
- Encanto Cupcakes (Movie-Themed Cupcakes)
- Rainbow Unicorn Cake
- Easy DIY Speckled Mermaid Cupcakes
- Devil’s Food Cake, crumbled
- 12 oz bag of Milk Chocolate Candy Melts
- 60 Mini Marshmallows (3 per pop)
- 1/2 cup of Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix the frosting into the cake crumbs. Mix until forms a cake dough.
- Scoop a small cookie scoop size of dough out and roll into a ball. Place into a circular form or on a sheet pan. Repeat until no more dough is available
- Insert cake pop stick into the pops and place pops in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate melts with a splash of oil.
- Dip each pop into the melted chocolate and spoon over chocolate as needed to cover the pop.
- Dust the pops in the graham crumbs. Dip a marshmallow slightly into the melted chocolate. Top with three marshmallows.
- Using a torch, toast the marshmallow for the campfire feel.