This decadent and moist Death By Chocolate Poke Cake recipe is a breeze to make using a devil’s food cake mix and filling it with rich chocolatey pudding before topping it with homemade chocolate whipped topping.
Of my three kids, my youngest is a chocolate-lover like I am. He’s the only one, which totally makes him my favorite child (just kidding)!
When my kids have birthdays, they get to pick dinner for that evening (with no competition) and what kind of cake/pie/dessert they want. This year Z picked this Chocolate Poke Cake as his birthday cake. I didn’t get 3 chocolate lovers, but at least I got one!
And being the chocolate-lover that I am, I have been wanting to try making a chocolate poke cake. His birthday was my perfect excuse!
And it couldn’t have turned out any better! Plus, I got to make homemade chocolate whipped cream for the first time. It’s whipped cream…but chocolate flavor. Yum!
How To Make The Ultimate Chocolate Poke Cake
You’re gonna love how easy it is to make this chocolate pudding poke cake recipe!
NOTE: please check out the handy recipe card at the bottom of the post for the complete recipe!
Just follow these simple instructions to enjoy one of the most delicious cakes you’ll ever have.
Preheat the oven per cake mix directions and prepare a 13×9 pan with baking spray.
Mix cake ingredients and bake cake per package directions.
Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke 9-12 holes in the hot cake.
Mix pudding and milk until smooth and creamy, then pour over the cake, making sure to fill all of the holes.
Allow the cake to cool in the refrigerator.
Frost with chocolate whipped cream.
Add chocolate sprinkles if desired.
Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Slice, serve, and enjoy!
How To Make Chocolate Whipped Cream
You could use regular whipped cream on this chocolate poke cake recipe. BUT it’s SO much better with chocolate whipped cream!
Here’s what you’ll need to make chocolate whipped cream.
Here’s how to make homemade whipped cream.
In a cold mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to mix all frosting ingredients on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
Frost cake or cupcakes, garnish with sprinkles, and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This super easy Chocolate Poke Cake dessert is a crowd favorite and it’s perfect for a gathering or birthday party. It’s a dessert that will feed a large group and it’s ideal for potlucks and parties.
No matter when or how you use it, this delicious chocolatey treat will be a huge hit!
Chocolate Poke Cake Tips
Use these tips to make the perfectly decadent moist dessert every time!
- The back of a wooden spoon is perfect for making the holes in your cake!
- Letting your cake chill with the pudding in it will really give it time to soak into the baked cake.
- Take care not to overmix your whipped cream topping. The best practice is to use a frozen bowl with chilled heavy whipping cream to help stiff peaks form when mixing.
- If the whipped cream is left on the counter while serving the cake it will begin to break down. Keep it in the fridge as much as possible to avoid this!
You can use any type of cake mix you want in this recipe. Any brand will work. And if you prefer your cake less rich, you could just use regular chocolate cake mix instead of the devil’s food mix. Homemade cake works really well too!
You could adapt this recipe for cupcakes if you want something a little more finger-food. Just follow the same process but bake the cake mix in a cupcake pan.
Play around with different ways to garnish your cake! There are so many toppings that would be amazing. Here are some ideas:
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate drizzle
- Caramel drizzle
- Candy toppings like Reese’s, M&M’s, Heath bars, or Butterfingers.
- Different kinds of chips like peanut butter, butterscotch, white chocolate, and more
How To Store This Chocolate Poke Cake
IF you have any leftovers of this chocolate cake recipe (and that’s a big “if”), store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
It is ok for this cake to sit out for a little bit while when you serve it. But if you keep it out for a long time, the chocolate whipped topping will start to break down and melt.
More Delicious Dessert Ideas
- Easy Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Brownies
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Rice Krispie Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix + additional ingredients per directions
- 1 box of instant chocolate pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven per cake mix directions and prepare a 13×9 pan with baking spray.
- Mix cake ingredients and bake cake per package directions.
- Use the end of a wooden spoon to poke 9-12 holes in the hot cake.
- Mix pudding and milk until smooth and creamy, then pour over the cake, making sure to fill all of the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the refrigerator.
- Frost with chocolate whipped cream and top with sprinkles, chocolate drizzle, chocolate chips, etc.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Chocolate Whipped Cream Instructions
- In a cold mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to mix all frosting ingredients on medium speed until stiff peaks form (about 3-4 minutes).
- Frost cake or cupcakes, garnish with sprinkles, and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.