Do you want to make a delicious, crispy, and flavorful sandwich that is sure to tantalize your taste buds? Look no further than our Air Fryer Shrimp Po Boy! This delectable sandwich is loaded with succulent fried shrimp and all your favorite toppings.
We all know that seafood is often healthier than red meat and other types of meat. However, there are lots of people who often don’t enjoy eating seafood.
And for a long time, I was one of them.
However, over the last few years, I’ve been working to expand my seafood repertoire and expand my family’s taste preferences.
My Shrimp Fried Rice is easy and delicious and one of my most popular recipes on this site!
I love using my air fryer to make this tasty sandwich even healthier. By using an air fryer instead of deep frying, I’m able to reduce the fat and calories without sacrificing any flavor or texture.
Not only am I able to enjoy a healthier version of one of my favorite sandwiches, but I can also feel good about eating more seafood.
If you want more delicious seafood recipes, check out my Honey Dijon Salmon, and I have more coming your way. But first, a Shrimp Po Boy that’s SO good, it’ll make you love shrimp (even if you hate it!).
If you want more unique and tasty air fryer recipes, try my:
- Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders with Aioli
- AF Greek Chicken Kabobs
- Air Fryer Indian Tacos with Homemade Fry Bread
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Shrimp Po Boy Recipe
- Raw Shrimp – peeled
- Eggs – beaten
- Panko Crumbs
- Nature’s Seasoning
- Tony Chicheme’s Cajun Seasoning – can be found in in most grocery stores
- Lettuce – shredded
- Tomatoes – thinly sliced
- Hoagie Rolls
How to make air fried Shrimp Po Boy
Begin with 3 separate bowls. The first bowl will contain 2 beaten eggs. In the second bowl, add the cornmeal and panko and mix well. In the third bowl, mix cornstarch and Nature’s Seasoning.
Next, dredge each piece of shrimp first the in the cornstarch then the egg wash and last the cornmeal mixture.
Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray. Place the breaded shrimp in the basket.
Lightly spray the shrimp with oil and cook on 390 degrees for 5 minutes.
In another mixing bowl, add Tony’s Chicheme’s Cajun Seasoning and mayonnaise and mix well to create the Cajun aioli.
Open the hoagie buns and place them on a serving tray or plate. Place lettuce in the bottom of the bun. Add 8 – 10 pieces of shrimp on top of the lettuce. Top with tomato slices and Cajun aioli.
Air Fried Shrimp Po Boy Recipe Notes And Tips
- If using fresh shrimp, it is a good idea to pat dry with a paper towel before the dredging process. This will remove any excess moisture and help the ingredients adhere to the shrimp better.
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket or tray when placing the shrimp in. Do not layer the shrimp and allow a small amount of space in between each piece of shrimp. Cooking one layer at a time will ensure an even cook and crispness throughout.
- Prepare the sauce, slice the tomatoes and prep the lettuce up to a day in advance to save you some time.
Variations Of Shrimp Po Boy To Try
- French bread, Ciabatta bread or a French Roll are several other great options for the bun instead of a hoagie bun.
- Shrimp is just one protein that makes a great Po’ Boy sandwich. Catfish, popcorn chicken or even oysters are definitely worth a try too!
- Toast the bun before assembling your sandwich. You won’t regret it. 😉
Do you have questions about making these Air Fryer Shrimp Po Boy Sandwiches? If you have a question and don’t see it already answered below, please leave it for me in the comments!
Great question! My preference is to use the large size shrimp or 31/35 pieces per pound.
Keep in mind that if you use shrimp that is too small, it will dry out more easily and possibly have too much coating on the shrimp. If you use shrimp that is too big, it may take longer to cook, causing the shrimp to burn.
Either fresh or frozen will work just fine. However, the ultimate answer to this question will depend on your personal preferences and where you live.
If you live near the coast, fresh shrimp is the obvious choice. However, if you live in the center of the country, frozen shrimp is a great go-to.
Shrimp cooks quickly, and I have found the cooking time to be about the same when cooking either fresh or frozen.
I’m not sure you will have any leftovers because these shrimp po boy sandwiches are just THAT delicious. However, if you do, store the shrimp in an air-tight container or storage bag and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat the leftovers, just pop the shrimp in the air fryer to crisp them back up. I would not recommend microwaving to reheat. This will likely make the shrimp soggy instead of crispy.
Personally, I think you will be much happier assembling your sandwiches just before serving.
You can prepare the shrimp ahead of time and reheat them in the air fryer just prior to making the sandwiches.
More Fantastic Air Fryer Recipes To Try
- Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Valentine’s Day Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- AF Carrot Fries
- Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies
- 1 lb peeled raw shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of panko crumbs
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of Nature’s Seasoning
- 1 tbsp of Tony Chicheme’s Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls
- In 3 bowls, beat the eggs, mix the cornmeal and panko and mix the cornstarch and Nature's Seasoning.
- Dredge each piece of shrimp in the cornstarch, then the egg wash and then the cornmeal panko.
- Spray air fryer basket with oil and place breaded shrimp in. Spray with oil and Cook on 390 for 5 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Tony's Cajun Seasoning with the mayonnaise to create a Cajun aioli.
- Open rolls and place lettuce on bottom, the add 8-10 pieces of shrimp, next add tomato slices and top with Cajun aioli.