Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies are a new twist on the traditional pumpkin pie. Delightful to eat and extremely easy to make!!!
My kids love Pop-Tarts but I don’t love the ingredients in them. So, I have an alternative for you: you can easily make your own hand pies (or Pop-Tarts) using pie crusts!
Don’t we always like to know what kind of foods our kids are eating? Of course, we want to see them having something healthy or at least homemade without as many of the dreaded processed foods.
You guys, this recipe is SO SO easy! And the best part is that you can change up the filling in so many different ways giving them healthier and homemade options. Definitely zero guilt for telling them NO and not buying them the sugary boxed kind at the store. 😁
And it’s pumpkin season…so naturally, I’m all about PUMPKIN right now!
These are the perfect bite-size party snack, sleepover treats, or holiday party fare. You can even send them to school for birthday parties or the ever-popular Christmas classroom party…… (PS….pumpkin is the perfect flavor for this one. 😉 )
Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Hand Pies Recipe
- Pre-Made Pie Crusts – or make your own if you prefer
- Pumpkin Butter – You could also use canned bought pumpkin pie filling. Just be sure to buy the pumpkin that already has the spices included.
- Condensed Milk – this will be the added sweet component to your hand pies
- Icing – make a batch of powdered sugar icing
- Round Press Sealer – a cookie cutter or a fork will work to pinch the edges together
How to Make Air Fryer Pumpkin Hand Pies
Roll out the pie crust, then use a round press to cut out circles.
Mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, and condensed milk in a large bowl.
Take a half spoonful of pumpkin butter (or pumpkin filling) and place it in the middle of half the circles you cut out.
Now place the other half of the pie crust circles on top of the pumpkin topped circles. Use the press or fork to seal the edges.
With the remaining egg, whip well and use an egg wash for each pumpkin hand pie.
Bake in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
Take pies out of the air fryer and place on a cooling rack.
Cover each pie with icing.
Pumpkin Hand Pies Recipe Notes And Tips
- Make your own powdered sugar icing. Simply adjust the recipe based on the number of hand pies you are making.
- If you have a great homemade pie crust recipe you love, go ahead and use it. 😁
- Egg wash the top of the hand pies and sprinkle with a little sugar before baking. The egg wash will help create a golden brown crust.
- Put a little water around the edge of the bottom hand pie before sealing it closed. This will help them seal together and prevent the filling from leaking while cooking.
Pumpkin Hand Pies Variations To Try
You can change up the filling for your hand pies. Of course, you will need to adjust the recipe for the filling accordingly as you will not be using the same ingredients as in this recipe.
There are 4 different types of pie fillings ~ Fruit, Custard, Cream, and Savory. Here are few suggestions you might like to try:
- lemon custard
- coconut custard
- banana cream
- peanut buttercream
- ham and cheese
Here are a few common questions I see readers ask. If you have questions, check below to see if it’s already been answered. If it hasn’t (yet), leave your questions in the comments so I can answer them!
What is the difference between a turnover and a hand pie?
Hand pies are generally made in a circular shape. Turnovers are typically made with puff pastry and are not round.
Do I need to poke holes in my pie crust to keep?
You should not poke holes in this hand pie crust. A filled pie should not have holes poked into it or the filling will ooze out during baking.
How can I keep my Pumpkin Hand Pies from getting soggy?
Once your pumpkin hand pies are assembled, refrigerate or freeze them for up to 20 minutes prior to baking. This will keep them from getting soggy and also helps the pie maintain structure during the baking process.
Can I freeze my Pumpkin Hand Pies?
YES!!! 😁 You can freeze them (after you have baked them) for up to 3 or 4 weeks. Be sure to place them in a container that is freezer-safe.
You can also freeze your unbaked hand pies for up to 3 months. Then just bake them straight from the freezer adding about 5 – 10 minutes extra to your bake time.
How should I store my Pumpkin Hand Pies?
Since this recipe contains eggs, you will need to store the hand pies in the refrigerator. They can be kept in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.
What is the best way to reheat my Pumpkin Hand Pies?
Your air fryer would be the ideal choice. It will definitely help to keep the crust crispy while re-heating. Pop them in the air fryer for 1 – 2 minutes at 325 degrees.
You can also pop the hand pies back in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 3 – 5 minutes.
More Fall-themed Kid Approved Recipes To Try
- Apple Pie Bites (Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups)
- Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Addictive Dutch Apple Crisp Bars Recipe
- Fudgy Zucchini Brownies With Frosting
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pre-Made Pie Crusts
- 2 cups pumpkin butter or 15 oz can pumpkin pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Round press/sealer
- Roll out the pie crust.
- Use the round press to cut circles out of the pie crust.
- In a mixing bowl, mix pumpkin, 2 eggs and condensed milk.
- Place half a spoonful of pumpkin filling in the middle of half of your circles.
- Now place the remaining circles on top of the pumpkin topped circles.
- Use the press to mend together.
- Egg wash each pumpkin pie.
- Place in air fryer for 12 - 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from air fryer and transfer to cooling rack.
- Cover with icing.
- Serve and enjoy!