Our festive and fun American Flag Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for a patriotic-themed event. They are not only delicious but they’re gorgeous, too!
As you may have already guessed, I love to cook and bake. By nature, I’m a recipe follower, but by training from my gramma, I’m a guessipe cook. It’s very confusing in my head 😉
But somehow I make it work!
When it comes to all the fun recipes that require decorating, I get a little intimidated. The recipe follower in me begins warring with the guessipe cook.
With all that going on in my head, I used to think that I couldn’t decorate cakes or cupcakes. You know how we sometimes have those lies that we tell ourselves?
Well, in my case, I’m no professional cake decorator, nor would I ever be confused as one! However, with the right design and tools, even I can decorate cute cupcakes!
Aren’t festive desserts fun? We love having gatherings for Memorial Day and Labor Day and are just getting back into doing that after a long 2 years of that worldwide event which shall not be named.
What better way to celebrate the return of gatherings and fun than with these adorable and FESTIVE American flag cupcakes?
If you are looking for some more patriotic-themed food ideas, check out my:
- Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake
- Festive Red, White, and Blue Cake Balls
- Jello Jigglers: Patriotic Red, White and Blue
- Sugar Cookie American Flag Fruit Pizza
- Summer Berry Cream Cake
- No-Bake 4th Of July Cheesecake Bites (Red, White, & Blue Cheesecake)
- Festive Patriotic Red, White & Blue Vanilla Fudge Recipe
Ingredients Needed For American Flag Cupcakes
- Yellow Cake Mix – plus additional ingredients per instructions or your favorite recipe
- Buttercream Frosting – red, white and blue in separate piping bags with Wilton 18 Star tip
- White Star Sprinkles
How To Make American Flag Cupcakes
These cupcakes are different from my Patriotic Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes because this American flag cupcakes recipe is all about decorating instead of making colored cupcakes.
If you’re hosting a party, I think having some of each kind of cupcake recipe displayed together would be amazing!
Here’s the process to help you decorate these U.S. flag cupcakes!
Mix and bake the cupcakes as per the directions on the box OR prepare your favorite cupcake recipe. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
With the blue buttercream and piping bag, pipe on the stars in a square on the top left portion of each cupcake.
Next, with the red and white frosting bags, pipe the stripes on the cupcakes starting with red then white, alternating colors until the cupcake is covered.
Once you have piped all the buttercream on the cupcakes, place the white sprinkles in the blue buttercream section.
American Flag Cupcakes Recipe Notes And Tips
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before piping on the frosting. Doing it while the cupcakes are still warm will cause the icing to slide off.
- If you do not have a piping bag, a plastic resealable bag will work well by cutting the corner off before putting the tip on.
- If you have a homemade buttercream icing recipe you prefer, by all means, use it. Use what works best for you. However, if you prefer to use store-bought icing, your best bet would be the rich and creamy type or the home-style kind.
Variations Of American Flag Cupcakes To Try
Here are a few ideas to help make your American Flag Cupcakes perfect every time – or change it up when you want something different!
- White, Strawberry, red velvet, lemon, Funfetti, or chocolate cake mix would all be delicious choices for the cupcakes.
- Core out the center of the cupcake and add in some red, white and blue M&M’s for an extra fun treat.
- Change up the colors of the icing if you are having a celebration for another country such as black, yellow and red for Germany or green, white and orange for Ireland. Decorate according to the design on the flag.
- Add a little fresh fruit to your cupcake by adding blueberries for the stars. Cover the cupcake with white frosting, place on the blueberries, and finally add red frosting stripes.
If you have questions about making these American Flag Cupcakes, check to see if I’ve already answered them below. Don’t see your questions? Leave them in the comments so I can answer them!
They can be kept at room temperature for 2 – 3 days if stored in an airtight container or plastic storage bag.
Yes, you can freeze them, but remember that the frosting may not hold up quite as well once you defrost them but they will still be delicious!
NO! These cupcakes are super easy to decorate, even for a beginner decorator.
Yes, you definitely can! You can bake and decorate the cupcakes a day in advance.
Or bake the cupcakes a day or two ahead of time and then decorate right before serving.
If you love to try new cupcake recipes, bake several batches of cupcakes ahead of time and freeze them. When you are ready to decorate, just pull them out of the freezer, allow them to thaw completely, and decorate.
More Fun and Festive Cupcake Recipes To Try
- Rainbow Unicorn Cupcakes
- Beach Pull-Apart Cupcake Cake
- Cupcake Bouquet For Special Events
- Rainbow St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
- Back to School (Teacher Appreciation) Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix + additional ingredients per instructions OR your favorite recipe
- Red, white, and blue buttercream frosting in separate piping bags each with a Wilton 18 Star tip
- White star sprinkles
- Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely.
- Use the blue frosting to pipe star shapes in a square in the top left portion of the cupcake as shown.
- Then alternate using the red and white frosting to pipe the stripes, beginning with red.
- Place white sprinkle stars in the blue section.