Add some variety to Taco Tuesday! These Baked Rolled Tacos are AMAZING! They’re insanely quick & easy and will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
We LOVE taco night in our house and frequently make burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and Taco Cups.
But sometimes even we get a little tired of the normal go-to’s and want something a little different (but still taco-themed!).
I also love recipes that are versatile and I can add my own spin on it depending on what ingredients I might have on hand or what my family prefers.
These delicious tacos can be served as an appetizer at a game day party or family get-together. They can also be prepared and served as a main dish for a weeknight meal or at a potluck.
The best part is that you can prepare the rolled tacos for your family and guests to add any or all the toppings they desire.
I guarantee this is one recipe you will keep on hand for all occasions and will make quite often.
Ingredients Needed For Baked Rolled Tacos Recipe
- Taco Meat – ground chicken, turkey or beef
- Chicken Breast – cooked and shredded
- Salsa – red and/or green
- Mexican Blend Cheese – shredded
- Vegetable Oil – canola or olive oil will work as well
- Flour or Corn Tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Lettuce – shredded
- Tomato – diced
- Avocado – diced or sliced
- Cheese – Cheddar, Colby Jack or Mexi-Blend
How To Make Baked Rolled Tacos
Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
Place the taco meat in one bowl and the shredded chicken in another bowl. Add 3 – 4 tbsp of red or green salsa to each bowl.
Layout a tortilla. Place a mixture of taco meat or chicken and a sprinkle of cheese on the bottom portion of the tortillas then roll tightly.
Lay the filled, rolled tortilla seam side down in the baking dish.
Once you have filled and rolled all of the tortillas and placed them in the dish, brush each roll lightly with vegetable oil.
Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool. Take the rolled tacos out of the dish and place them on a paper towel-lined plate so they can drain if need be.
Serve with desired toppings and ENJOY!
Baked Rolled Tacos Recipe Notes And Tips
- Use pre-made taco seasoning or make your own if that is preferred.
- Soften the corn or flour tortillas by wrapping 4 – 6 tortillas in a paper towel and putting them in the microwave for 25 – 30 seconds. This will make them softer and easier to roll without cracking or tearing.
- Rotisserie chicken from the store is a perfect substitute if don’t have time to bake or boil your own.
- If you are having a hard time keeping them rolled tight before baking, stick a toothpick through them to hold them closed.
- If you prefer, you can spray a light layer of cooking spray on the top of the tacos prior to baking versus brushing with vegetable oil. Just depends on your preference.
- I prefer baking the tacos but if you prefer fried, then go with what works best for you. Make sure your oil is hot enough and fry on both sides for about 5 minutes each.
Variations Of Baked Rolled Tacos To Try
- Toss in some sliced black olives, onions, or peppers as you are rolling up the tacos. YUM!
- Add a side of rice or refried beans before serving.
- Use shredded chicken, beef, or pork in place of the ground taco meat.
- Add a side of queso for dipping or drizzling on top of the tacos.
What is the difference between rolled tacos and taquitos?
Rolled tacos are generally baked but can be fried. Baked tacos are generally less crunchy than fried.
Taquitos are generally always fried.
How long will the baked rolled tacos keep in the refrigerator?
They will keep in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days if kept in an air-tight container.
What is the best way to reheat the baked rolled tacos?
You have a couple of great options for reheating these tacos. The microwave is always one of my go-to options for reheating leftovers.
An air fryer is a great option for re-crisping the tacos.
The final option would be to place the leftovers in a baking dish, cover them, and place them in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
Can I freeze the Baked Rolled Tacos?
These will freeze perfectly. Allow thawing completely before placing in a freezer-safe, air-tight container or freezer bag and place in the freezer. They can be kept frozen for 2 – 3 months.
More Kid-Friendly Main Dishes To Try
- Air Fryer Ham and Cheese Sliders with Aioli
- Easy Heart-Shaped Mini Pizzas
- The Very Best Sloppy Joes
- Homemade Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders
- 2 cups taco meat, cooked
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- Red and/or green salsa
- Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Sour cream, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and very lightly coat baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In 2 separate bowls mix taco meat and chicken with 3-4 tablespoons of red or green salsa.
- Place mixture and a sprinkle of cheese near one end of the tortilla and roll tightly.
- Lay seam side down baking dish.
- Lightly brush vegetable oil over the top of each roll.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on paper towel lined plate if a little draining is needed.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!