These Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls are perfect on-the-go snacks for kids. Enjoy them after school, at your kids’ sports practices (or games), or on a hike for a burst of energy and satisfied tummies.
My kids are snackers and there are certain times of the day they need a little pick me up. I think we are all like that sometimes, wouldn’t you agree!?!?
Of course, as a parent, I would love for them to choose a healthy snack such as apples and peanut butter or carrots and hummus. Yet, many times they are not as willing to go the healthy route. 😉 They may prefer a less healthy option.
So it is our job as parents to steer them in the direction giving them healthy options that they will hopefully choose instead.
Our Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls may be exactly what you are looking for. They are the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
Not only are they the perfect anytime snack bite but they are perfect for breakfast or a little late-night snack when your sweet tooth is in overdrive.
Even better than a healthy snack, they are totally NO-Bake. That’s right!!! No need to heat up the oven just mix, roll into balls, and VOILA!!! Ready in less than 15 minutes from start to finish!
Pop a batch in the fridge and I guarantee they will be gone in a flash and you can rest assured that you have provided a healthy option for that anytime snack.
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats – quick oats will also work
- Peanut Butter – you can never go wrong with your favorite brand
- Maple Syrup – regular, pure, or 100%
- Chocolate M&M’s – mini M&M’s are a great substitute
- Cinnamon –
- Salt – adds to the savory element and cuts the sweetness of the syrup and M&M’s
How To Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
Just follow this simple process for delicious energy balls that even the pickiest kids will love!
In a microwave-safe bowl, warm peanut butter on high for 20 seconds.
In a large bowl, add the 1/2 cup maple syrup followed by all the remaining ingredients.
Mix well with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Scoop 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons of mixture. Press the mixture together in your hands to get it to stick together.
Place the rolled ball on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Repeat until all the mixture is rolled into balls.
Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls Recipe Notes And Tips
- Any nut butter will work well in this recipe.
- Bites taste best when they have a minimum of 5 – 7 minutes to come to room temperature before eating.
- Honey can be used in place of maple syrup. You may have a personal preference based on what you or your family likes best.
- This can easily be a gluten-free recipe by using gluten-free oats.
Variations Of Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls To Try
Make these yummy bites a little MORE healthy with a couple of simple steps:
- Decrease the amount and size of the M&M’s. Using the mini M&M’s will decrease the amount of sugar in this recipe.
- Use cocoa nibs or vegan chocolate chips instead of M&M’s.
- Try all-natural peanut butter.
- Use salt-free or sugar-free peanut butter.
- Use sea salt or pink Himalayan salt instead of regular salt.
- Regular chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips are a great alternative to the M&M’s.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls FAQs
These energy balls can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. It is best to keep them in an air-tight container.
These energy balls will freeze nicely if you wrap them each individually in plastic wrap and place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container. They can be frozen for up to a month.
It is likely that the mixture has dried out a little so the best option is to add a little bit more maple syrup to add some moisture into the mixture.
If the mixture is too sticky, adding a couple more tablespoons of oatmeal should fix that problem?
In order to keep the mixture from sticking to your hands as you roll it into a ball, wet your hands lightly with some water. Add a little bit of water to your hands as needed until all the mixture has been rolled into energy balls.
More Bite-Size, Quick and Easy Recipes to Try
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- Rainbow Jello Squares
- Easy Oreo Fudge
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Bacon, Spinach & Potato Frittata Muffins
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup warmed peanut butter
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chocolate M&M's
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Warm the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl on high for 20 seconds.
- Add all remaining ingredients in a large bowl starting with 1/2 cup maple syrup.
- Stir with wooden spoon until well mixed.
- Scooped 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of mixture and press mixture together with your hands to get it to stick together.
- Roll into a ball and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been rolled into balls. (Use extra maple syrup if you can not get the final balls to form.)
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- Remove and allow to come to room temperature before serving.