Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread is a great recipe for using up the runaway zucchini from the garden! It tastes great and the addition of lemon and blueberries makes it addictively delicious!
My mom absolutely LOVED to garden. She loved to grow as many fresh veggies as she could during the summer. As hard as I try, I don’t have quite the green thumb that she does.
In fact, I wish I would have picked up that passion from her especially when I run across incredible recipes like this Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread.
There are a few garden vegetables that once they start growing and take off, you usually have way more than you can eat. Zucchini is one of those veggies.
So you have to get creative and find ways to use them….or share the wealth and give to friends and neighbors. 😉 And believe it or not, even I can grow zucchini like a champ!
Zucchini is versatile enough that it can be used in so many savory and/or sweet recipes. Zucchini Spice muffins (or bread) are my favorite!
You won’t necessarily taste the zucchini flavor in this bread as zucchini has a mild flavor, but it will add a lovely texture and moistness to your bread.
Trust me when I tell you this Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread is going to be a new family favorite. If you don’t grow it yourself, make sure to pick up some summer fresh zucchini at the Farmer’s Market and bake up a batch of this scrumptious bread. It’s addictive!
If you love baking with fresh fruits or veggies, you will love our Pumpkin Spice Bread, Easy Blueberry Muffins, or Fresh Strawberry Bread.
Ingredients Needed For Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- All-Purpose Flour – provides the best structure for baked items
- Baking Soda – a leavening agent to allow the bread to rise
- Baking Powder – increases the volume and lightens the texture of your baked goods
- Cinnamon Powder – a little finer than ground cinnamon but both have the same flavor
- Nutmeg – nutty, slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with the cinnamon
- Eggs – add structure, flavor and color to baked items
- Vegetable Oil – Canola Oil is a good substitute for vegetable oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Extract – lemon extract has a stronger aroma than lemon juice but either will work
- Zucchini – zucchini is packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Blueberries – frozen blueberries will add more moisture than fresh blueberries
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread
As with all quick bread recipes, this recipe is simple to throw together. Here’s how.
Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees.
Grease well and flour a 8 x 4″ loaf pan.
In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg.
With an electric mixer, in a large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, sugar, and lemon extract until creamy and smooth. Fold in the zucchini and then add the dry ingredients. Fold in and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Fill to about 3/4″ from the top.
Fold in the blueberries to combine with batter in the loaf pan.
Bake on center rack for approximately 50 – 60 minutes or until browned.
Cool on a wire rack while still in the pan for 15 minutes. Carefully remove bread from the pan by carefully running a knife around the pan edges.
Allow the bread to continue to cool on the wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread Recipe Notes And Tips
- Do your best not to over mix your batter, as it can cause your bread to be tough. When adding in your dry ingredients, fold in until they almost disappear or just disappear.
- To ensure that bread is cooked all the way through, insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean it is completely done.
- If you are using frozen blueberries, make sure they are completely thawed and then pat dry before adding to batter.
- When preparing the baking pans, be sure to grease and flour well. You can use non-stick cooking spray but you must still flour the pan well also.
- I would suggest removing as much excess water out of the zucchini as possible. If there is too much water left after you mix it in, the bread may get too soggy.
Variations of Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread To Try
- Make an easy lemon flavored glaze to drizzle on the bread once it has cooled. One (1) cup of powdered sugar and the juice from one lemon will make a glaze that is somewhat thick and will not run all the way off the loaf when poured. And it tastes AMAZING.
- Instead of one loaf of bread, why not make muffins or individual loaves of this delicious bread. You will have to adjust the cooking time with muffins but what a fun, tasty treat. Muffins usually take around 20-25 minutes to bake.
Can I freeze my Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread?
This Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread freezes so well. Wrap in aluminum foil and then put the loaf in a freezer bag. If you are adding a glaze, I would suggest not adding that until you unthaw the loaf and are ready to serve.
How long can I freeze my Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread?
You can keep your bread in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. Wrap it in plastic wrap, and a layer of aluminum foil, and then place in a freezer bag for the best freeze to prevent freezer burn.
How do I remove the excess water from the grated zucchini?
Place the grated zucchini in a paper towel, thin dish towel, or cheesecloth. Wrap tightly and squeeze the water out over a bowl or the sink.
Can I use fresh lemon juice instead of lemon extract?
Yes! It is recommended to use a 1:2 ratio…..1 tsp extract to 2 tsp juice. So for this recipe, you would need 4 tsp of lemon juice instead of the 2 tsp lemon extract.
More Delicious Baked Treats You Must Try
- Very Best Fresh Berry Chantilly Cake
- Banana Protein Muffins
- Delicious and Hearty Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Cake
Pin For Later!
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread
Use the excess zucchini from your garden to make this moist quick bread that just bursts with flavor! The entire family will love it.
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8 x 4" loaf pan.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the eggs, oil, sugar and lemon extract together. I like to use an electric mixer until the batter is smooth and creamy. Gently fold in the zucchini.
- Add dry ingredients from medium bowl into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan to about 3/4" from the top.
- Gently fold in blueberries to combine with batter directly in the pan.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes on center rack until browned.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for approximately 15 minutes. Carefully run knife around the edge of pan and remove bread from pan. Place the bread on wire rack and continue to cool.
Leave a Reply