Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon is the ideal holiday side dish or a go-to dish any time of the year. Incredibly delicious plus super simple and quick to prepare.
When you have a heavy meal such as a holiday feast, the main menu is often filled with extremely high-calorie and fattening foods. For many years, we just went with it and “loaded up” on the holidays.
But a few years ago, we started adding fresh salads to the meal to help balance out all the heavy, decadent foods with something a little more fresh and waistline-friendly.
While my Copycat Fuji Apple Salad is still my favorite, this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is quickly moving towards the top of the list. It’s light, bright, citrusy, and tangy. And it even has some bacon for flavor and walnuts and apples for crunch.
Plus, it’s a cinch to pull together!
Try my Homemade Copycat Panera Fuji Apple Salad, Strawberry Spinach Salad, or Apple Cranberry Coleslaw if you would like to try more healthy and delicious salads.
Bacon And Brussels Sprouts Salad Ingredients
- Brussels Sprouts – use pre-shredded if you can find them to save a little extra time.
- Apple – Fuji are a favorite of mine but use the kind you like most
- Chopped Walnuts – chop your own or buy pre-chopped
- Parmesan Cheese – fruity and nutty in taste that enhances the flavor of the sprouts
- Orange Juice – helps take the bitterness out of the brussels sprouts
- Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard – tangy and sharp flavor with a bit of spice
- White Pepper – more appealing in lighter colored dishes but black pepper can be used if that is your preference.
How To Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Bacon
This salad comes together quickly and easily. Here’s how to make shaved Brussels sprouts salad with bacon.
Use a mandolin slicer or sharp knife to shave the brussels sprouts into thin slices. Place in a large bowl.
Add the diced apple, chopped walnuts, shredded Parmesan cheese, and chopped bacon. Toss to combine. Set aside.
Whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, and dijon mustard in a small bowl until creamy and emulsified. Season with white pepper and adjust to taste.
Drizzle the orange dressing over the brussels sprouts salad and toss to coat completely.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Bacon Recipe Notes and Tips
Use these tips to ensure your shaved Brussels sprouts salad with bacon comes out perfectly every time!
- Before shaving or shredding the sprouts, wash well in cold water and remove the damaged outer leaves.
- I would suggest waiting to add the dressing until just before serving. This will keep the brussels sprouts fresh and crunch when served.
- Shaved or shredded parmesan cheese will both work in this recipe. It is all dependent on your preference.
Variations Of Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Bacon To Try
Sometimes you just want a slight change, right? Here are a couple of ideas to vary up this shaved Brussels sprouts salad with bacon when you want a change.
- I like a little extra sweetness with the sprouts so I would add some dried cranberries.
- If walnuts are not your fave, try adding some chopped pecans or sunflower seeds.
If you’ve never worked with Brussels sprouts before, you may have questions about making this shaved Brussels sprouts salad with bacon.
Please check to see if your question is already answered below. If it isn’t please leave it in the comments so I can answer it for you. 😁
How do you shave Brussels sprouts?
You can use a food processor, knife, or mandoline to shave brussels sprouts. A food processor would likely work best for large quantities. A mandoline will provide the most thinly-shaved sprouts.
How far in advance can you shave Brussels sprouts before using?
Brussels sprouts can be shaved or shredded for up to 2 days in advance. Just be sure to store them in an air-tight storage bag or container in the fridge until ready to assemble your dish.
What pairs well with Brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts will pair well with many proteins, but some of my favorites are chicken, steak, fish, or pork. This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon is the perfect side dish addition to any of these.
They are also incredibly delicious when roasted with other vegetables such as carrots and red potatoes topped with little olive oil, herbs, and salt & pepper. YUM!
Can you eat raw Brussels sprouts in a salad?
YES! They are members of the cruciferous vegetable family (like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower) and are perfectly fine to eat raw.
Are shaved Brussels sprouts good for you?
YES, YES, YES!!! Brussels sprouts are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also have added health benefits and can reduce the risk of cancer and improve the control of blood sugar.
Can I shred Brussels sprouts in a blender?
Trim the stems and remove any bruised leaves. Place the Brussels sprouts into blender and pulse until well-chopped.
Can I shred Brussels sprouts in a food processor?
Trim the end off of each Brussels sprouts by cutting a super-thin slice (about 1/8 inch-thick) off of the root end. In a food processor fitted with the slicing attachment, coarsely shred the Brussels sprouts. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can just thinly slice the brussels sprouts by hand.)
More Healthy and Tasty Dishes To Try
If you love this shaved Brussels sprouts salad with bacon recipe, you’ll also love these tasty dishes!
- Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Most Indulgent Healthy Apple Crisp
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Healthy, No-Bake Berry Cheesecake
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 4 cups brussels sprouts (approx 1 lb)
- 1 apple, finely diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to shave the brussels sprouts into thin slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Add diced apple, chopped walnuts, shredded parmesan cheese and chopped bacon. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil and dijon mustard until creamy and emulsified. Season with white pepper and adjust to taste.
- Drizzle the orange dressing over the brussels sprouts salad and toss to coat completely.
Leave a Reply