If you’re a fan of hot pockets, you’ll love our version that is both easy to make and delicious. These Turkey and Swiss Homemade Hot Pockets are perfect for a quick lunch or snack, and you can make them exactly to your liking.
Hot pockets have become a staple in many households as they are super quick and easy to pop in the microwave, and you have a ‘meal’ ready to serve in just a couple of minutes.
I will admit that I have served my fair share of store-bought hot pockets to my kids and their friends in the interest of ease and time.
However, the store-bought versions may not always satisfy your cravings. Luckily, with our homemade hot pocket recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and healthier version.
These Turkey and Swiss Hot Pockets are perfect for when you’re short on time but still want a satisfying meal or lunch idea!
They are as simple as rolling out pre-made pizza dough into rectangles and filling them with sliced turkey breast, Swiss cheese, and any other desired toppings, such as spinach or roasted red peppers. Fold the dough over the filling to create a pocket-like shape and bake until golden brown, and VOILA!!!
Not only are these homemade hot pockets tasty, but they can also be made exactly the way you like to fit your dietary needs or preferences. For instance, you can use gluten-free or vegan-friendly pizza dough for those with dietary restrictions and allergies.
Now don’t you think it’s about time to go make your own homemade hot pockets and see just how much BETTER they are than the ones you find in the grocery store. 😉
Ingredients Needed For Turkey And Swiss Homemade Hot Pockets Recipe
- Crescent Rolls – favorite brand or your own homemade dough
- Turkey Deli Meat – thinly sliced
- Swiss Cheese – halved
How to Make Turkey and Swiss Homemade Hot Pockets
If you want to include a DIY hot pocket in your lunch, here’s how to bring this recipe together (it’s easy!).
Begin by preheating the oven and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Remove crescent rolls from the can and separate them into 4 rectangles which would be 2 triangles each. Press together the perforated seams.
On each of the rectangles, place 1 – 2 slices of turkey on one side of the dough.
Then top with half slice of Swiss cheese, folding the slice in half.
Fold the crescent dough in half and press the edges closed with a fork.
Place each hand pie on the baking sheet and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately or allow to cool completely if packing for lunch.
Turkey and Swiss Homemade Hot Pockets Recipe Notes And Tips
- When crimping the edges of the hot pockets, dip your fork in a little bit of flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough.
- Add a light egg wash to the top of the crescent roll dough before baking for a shiny, golden brown crust.
- Double or triple the recipe, depending on how many people you are serving. You can also easily add the extra batches to the freezer for a quick snack, meal on the go or to throw in your kids’ lunchbox.
Variations Of Turkey And Swiss Homemade Hot Pockets To Try
- I can think of so many different combinations of fillings that you could add to the homemade hot pockets, but here are a few of my very favorite flavors:
- Pepperoni, cheese, and pizza sauce
- Chicken, broccoli, and cheese
- Ham and cheese
- Chicken, spinach, and cheese
- Sausage, bacon, and cheese – yummy breakfast option!
- Hamburger and cheese
- Any chopped veggies such as onions, peppers, corn, or tomatoes are a perfect addition.
- Choose the type of cheese you and your family enjoy the most. You really can’t go wrong.
- Sprinkle the top of your homemade hot pockets with sesame seeds, dried thyme, sea salt, or even a pinch of cayenne for a little extra YUM. 😉
Definitely! These are perfect to make ahead of time and have in the fridge for a snack or the next day’s lunch.
ABSOLUTELY! This recipe is geared for those looking for a quicker alternative but if you love to take the extra time and steps to make your own then DO IT!
These yummy bites will keep in the fridge for up to 2 – 3 days if stored in an airtight container or storage bag.
YES! Once you have allowed them to cool completely, wrap them individually in foil and place them in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 – 3 months.
When you remove them from the freezer, pop them in the microwave or air fryer for 2 – 3 minutes on high. No need to thaw.
More Kid-Friendly Lunchbox Ideas To Try
- Mini BLT Bagel School Lunch Idea
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Easy Heart-Shaped Mini Pizzas
- Rainbow Pinwheels
- 1 (8-ounce) tube crescent rolls
- 4 - 8 slices turkey deli meat
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Open can. Remove the dough and separate it into 4 rectangles (2 triangles each). Press perforated seams together.
- For each hand pie: Place 1 - 2 slices of turkey deli meat on one side of the dough. Top with one-half slice of Swiss cheese, folding the cheese in half.
- Fold the dough in half and press the edges closed with a fork.
- Transfer hand pies to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before packing inside the lunch box.