Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs are a delicious and easy-to-make meal idea that perfect for any occasion. This savory dish has the perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors that will have everyone asking for seconds.
There are some days when cooking just feels like too much, but I still want to prepare and delicious and healthy meal for my family. Whether we have stuff going on or have been busy and I’m tired, I like to have a few recipes in my back pocket for those days when cooking seems like too much effort.
This honey mustard chicken recipe is one of those recipes! It’s easy, delicious, and goes with just about everything.
Not only are these tender chicken thighs packed with flavor, but they require minimal effort so preparing dinner doesn’t seem so daunting after a busy, tiring day.
I grew up sitting around the dinner table with my family enjoying dishes prepared by my grandmother and mother. To me, these were some of the most special times in my life, sitting at the table and talking while we enjoyed their tried and true recipes.
But when I became an adult myself, life became so much busier, as I am sure you can relate. Making dishes often felt like a chore which left me feeling disconnected from those wonderful memories of my childhood.
However, making this recipe instantly recaptured those memories! Not only did it bring back all the cozy feelings from home but I also found great joy in seeing others appreciate my dish plus come back for seconds and sometimes thirds. 😉
Ingredients needed to make honey mustard chicken thighs recipe
- Chicken Thighs – bone-in and skin-on preferred
- Salt – to taste
- Cayenne Pepper – add more than the recipe amount to taste if preferred
- Olive Oil – regular or extra virgin olive oil
- Butter – salted or unsalted
- Whole Grain Mustard
- Honey Mustard
- Honey – add more than the recipe amount to taste if preferred
- Minced Garlic
NOTE: Please check the handy printable recipe card below for the detailed recipe!
How to make honey mustard chicken thighs
This dish is SUPER easy to make. Here’s how!
Begin by seasoning the chicken thighs with the cayenne pepper and salt. Add more or less cayenne pepper to taste as preferred.
Add butter and olive oil to the skillet and turn to medium heat to melt butter.
Add chicken to hot butter and oil mixture and sear on both sides until well-browned, approximately 3 – 4 minutes on each side.
Whisk together whole grain mustard, honey mustard, garlic, and honey in a small mixing bowl until combined well.
Distribute the honey mustard mixture over each of the chicken thighs and place the skillet in the oven.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Honey mustard chicken thighs recipe notes and tips
- When reheating the chicken thighs, you can reheat them in your air fryer for about 8 – 10 minutes until warmed through and the chicken skin is crispy again.
- Garnish with some chopped parsley if desired. You can also skip the garnish if you choose.
- Make the mustard/honey marinade ahead of time and store it in a container with a lid until ready to use.
What to serve with honey mustard chicken thighs
The possibilities of delicious flavor combinations are endless! Here are a few of our favorites.
Variations of honey mustard chicken thighs to try
- If you want your chicken thighs to have a little ‘heat’, add a dash of cayenne pepper to the mustard and honey mixture before pouring over the chicken thighs.
- Pure maple syrup will work in place of honey if you don’t care for honey or have an allergy to it.
- Boneless chicken thighs are a great alternative for this dish!
Do you have questions about how to make Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs? Check below to see if I’ve already answered it! Don’t see it? Leave your question in the comments.
Not at all! You can use the drumsticks, wings, or breasts. Be sure to adjust the cooking time and check the internal temperature making sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Yes, you can just bake these chicken thighs to save time if you want. However, the extra step of pan-searing them gives texture and addition depth of flavor that you’ll miss if you skip it.
Allow the chicken thighs to cool and place them in an air-tight container or storage bag and keep them in the fridge for up to 2 – 4 days.
Yes, you certainly can! Make sure to allow the chicken thighs to cool and reach room temperature. Place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and place in the freezer. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Tip: Label the container or bag with the contents and date that you placed it in the freezer.
Upon removing from the freezer, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before placing them in a baking dish. Warm through completely at 300 degrees.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes To Try
- Gouda and Grilled Chicken Salad
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread
- 5 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on preferred
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp honey, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- Season chicken thighs with cayenne pepper and salt.
- Place butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once butter is melted and hot, add the chicken and sear on each side until well-browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustards, honey and garlic until completely combined.
- Divide the honey-mustard mixture over each chicken thigh and place skillet in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.