Calling all dessert lovers! Get ready to be delighted by this delicious and unique treat – Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza! This unusual twist on a classic dessert is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Are you a self-proclaimed chocolate addict like myself? Chocolate is my love language so to speak. LOL
I love to celebrate birthdays, Mother’s Day or any other special occasion with any dessert that has any sort of chocolate component to it.
So since I have a chocolate addiction, I decided to try my hand at a dessert pizza with a chocolate chip crust and Nutella buttercream.
Sounds heavenly, right!?!?
This Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza is my absolute favorite birthday dessert….mine or to make for anyone else’s birthday. 😉
The cookie crust pizza is SOOOO easy to make, and I love the combination of the cookie, Nutella ‘sauce,’ and all the fresh fruit my heart desires on the top.
Oh. My. Goodness. The results are indescribably delicious!
So now all you have to do is gather up all the ingredients and give this incredibly tasty dessert pizza a try!
I promise you will NOT regret it.
If you want more chocolate chip-inspired recipes, try my:
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- Chocolate Chip Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Easy No-Churn Recipe).
Supplies Needed For Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza
- Electric Mixer – hand-held or counter-top
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Parchment Paper
- Wilton Giant Cookie Pan – round
Ingredients Needed For Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza
- Unsalted Butter – softened to room temperature
- Light Brown Sugar – packed
- Eggs – large
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder – creates a light, airy texture in the cookie
- Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Fruit – strawberries, grapes, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, fresh raspberries, pineapple, kiwi, apples or any other favorite fruits
How to Make Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza
This strawberry nutella pizza is one of my FAVORITE desserts – thank goodness they’re so easy to make! Here’s how:
Mix together butter and brown sugar thoroughly in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
Scrape the sides of the bowl so the entire mixture is in the bottom of the mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly.
Add flour, salt, and baking powder to a medium bowl and whisk.
Combine the two mixtures and mix until just combined. Fold the chocolate chips into your “homemade pizza crust.”
Spray cookie sheet or pizza pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
Spoon the entire mixture in the center of the baking sheet or pizza pan. Spread out to all sides within an inch of the side (with your fingers or a rolling pin).
Place in pre-heated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Prepare the buttercream icing for your dessert pizza by adding Nutella and butter in a small bowl. Mix until smooth.
Mix in the powdered sugar, adding 1 cup at a time with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream with each cup. Mix until smooth.
Add the second cup of powdered sugar and heavy cream and combine. Use more or less heavy cream depending on how thick you want it.
Mix the buttercream on high for 4 – 5 minutes so that it has time to get light and fluffy.
Top your sweet pie with the fruit you desire. Sliced fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mandarin oranges, slices of bananas, and more!
Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza Recipe Notes And Tips
- Cut the ‘curve’ off the bottom of the strawberry when you slice so they lay flat on the dessert pizza.
- TIP: Strawberries can retain excess water if exposed to water for too long so it is best to gently wash the strawberries and pat dry before adding them to the fruit pizza.
- If you are using bananas on this delicious treat, be sure to squirt a small amount of lemon juice on the slices to prevent them from browning too quickly.
- AVOID THESES FRUITS: Steer clear of watermelon because the high water content can make the pizza crust soggy. I also recommend avoiding previously frozen fruit for the same reason.
- Once you add your fresh fruit to this fun dessert, you can finish if off with some mini chocolate chips or mini marshmallows if you want!
Variations Of Chocolate Chip Fruit Dessert Pizza To Try
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce over the finished dessert pizza. YUM! Who doesn’t love MORE chocolate. 😉
- Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite for the base of the fruit pizza but I would enjoy a sugar cookie base just as much!
- Arrange the fruit on the chocolate chip cookie in a pattern or any way you choose. It will be yummy no matter how you decorate it.
- Replace the Nutella buttercream with a cream cheese sauce (or frosting)! Simply mix 8oz (1 block) cream cheese, 3 Tbsp butter, 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract together with a hand mixer. Then spread your cream cheese mixture over this easy dessert recipe to make the best dessert pizza!
- Save time by using prepared chocolate chip cookie dough or sugar cookie dough instead of making your own dough for this delicious dessert pizza.
- If you’re a chocolate lover, feel free to replace the chocolate chip cookie crust in this sweet treat with a brownie crust for dessert brownie pizza magic! Top with cream cheese sauce and fresh fruit.
Fruity Dessert Pizza FAQs
Dessert pizza is SO wonderful, and this chocolate chip version is addictive! Here are some common questions I see readers ask.
That is a great idea, and it will help save preparation time as well.
You can definitely prepare the cookie up to a day or 2 in advance. I would suggest adding the Nutella buttercream and fruit until just before serving.
I would not recommend freezing the dessert pizza once it has been assembled. The fruit will retain moisture and cause the cookie base to become soggy during the thawing process.
You can, however make and freeze the cookie portion ahead of time. Then all you have to do is pull it out of the freezer, allow it to thaw, and decorate with icing and fruit.
Any leftovers will keep in the fridge for 1 – 2 days if kept in a storage bag or airtight container.
More Yummy Summer Dessert Recipes To Try
If you love this summery fruit dessert pizza idea, you’ll love these other ideas too!
- Sugar Cookie American Flag Fruit Pizza
- Summer Berry Cream Cake
- Easy Fresh Homemade Strawberry Cobbler
- Berrylicious Red, White, and Blue Trifle
- How To Make Apple Nachos
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Fresh fruit - your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Add butter and brown sugar to mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add to dough mix and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray cookie/Pizza pan with non stick or use EZ Greasy non stick.
- Line with parchment paper, optional.
- Spoon into the center of the pan and spread out within an inch of the side.
- Bake at 350 for 20-22 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Next, add the Nutella and butter to a bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar a cup at a time with 2 tbsp heavy cream.
- Mix until smooth.
- Repeat until all powdered sugar has been added.
- Add more or less heavy cream (depending on how thick you want it).
- Let the buttercream mix on high for 4-5 mins to become light and fluffy.
- Top with various fruit of your choice.